Print server / OpenLink question

  • mattrot
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hello,

      i recently got the 250G Gigabit Linkstation. i've tried with no
      success to use it as a print server for my HP Deskjet 3650 out of the
      box. i would like the Win XP machines on the network to be able to
      print to it.

      after searching around for info. it sounded like i have to do a bit of
      extra work to do this: flash OpenLink or FreeLink onto the LS and then
      install CUPS and hplip. does this sound right? will that maintain
      print server functionality?

      this has led to the second part of my question. i tried to install
      OpenLink by directly connecting the LS and executing the firmware
      updater. it appeared to scan and find a device, but the dialog that
      popped up had jumbled characters (lots of '??????????????????') as if
      it was a character set it didn't understand. i pressed each of the 3
      buttons (couldn't tell what they read!) but nothing happened. does
      this mean my LS is a foreign model? when i use the web-based
      application to check the LS, some of the menus have the same character
      issue..

      thanks. any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated!
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mattrot" <shtboxdodge@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > i recently got the 250G Gigabit Linkstation. i've tried with no
        > success to use it as a print server for my HP Deskjet 3650 out of the
        > box. i would like the Win XP machines on the network to be able to
        > print to it.
        >
        > after searching around for info. it sounded like i have to do a bit of
        > extra work to do this: flash OpenLink or FreeLink onto the LS and then
        > install CUPS and hplip. does this sound right? will that maintain
        > print server functionality?

        "Mostly". See

        http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_3650

        > this has led to the second part of my question. i tried to install
        > OpenLink by directly connecting the LS and executing the firmware
        > updater. it appeared to scan and find a device, but the dialog that
        > popped up had jumbled characters (lots of '??????????????????') as if
        > it was a character set it didn't understand. i pressed each of the 3
        > buttons (couldn't tell what they read!) but nothing happened. does
        > this mean my LS is a foreign model? when i use the web-based
        > application to check the LS, some of the menus have the same character
        > issue..

        Check out

        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?
        title=Category:FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_web_interface_from_Japanese_to_English.3F

        -Andre
      • mattrot
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mattrot" <shtboxdodge@>
          wrote:

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > i recently got the 250G Gigabit Linkstation. i've tried with no
          > > success to use it as a print server for my HP Deskjet 3650 out of the
          > > box. i would like the Win XP machines on the network to be able to
          > > print to it.
          > >
          > > after searching around for info. it sounded like i have to do a bit of
          > > extra work to do this: flash OpenLink or FreeLink onto the LS and then
          > > install CUPS and hplip. does this sound right? will that maintain
          > > print server functionality?
          >
          > "Mostly". See
          >
          > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_3650

          thanks for the link! i will give this a shot.

          > > this has led to the second part of my question. i tried to install
          > > OpenLink by directly connecting the LS and executing the firmware
          > > updater. it appeared to scan and find a device, but the dialog that
          > > popped up had jumbled characters (lots of '??????????????????') as if
          > > it was a character set it didn't understand. i pressed each of the 3
          > > buttons (couldn't tell what they read!) but nothing happened. does
          > > this mean my LS is a foreign model? when i use the web-based
          > > application to check the LS, some of the menus have the same character
          > > issue..
          >
          > Check out
          >
          > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?

          title=Category:FAQ#How_do_I_change_the_web_interface_from_Japanese_to_English.3F

          > -Andre

          the problem is that i haven't even gotten my LinkStation "opened".
          when i try to run the OpenLink installer, the program window opens and
          the character sets in there are unrecognizable. i went ahead and
          tried each of the 3 buttons but the LS never got flashed. one of the
          buttons caused a small dialog popup that just read "????????" and i
          hit return. none of the buttons resulted in the LS getting flashed.
          is this a known issue?
        • mattrot
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
            <shtboxdodge@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > i recently got the 250G Gigabit Linkstation. i've tried with no
            > success to use it as a print server for my HP Deskjet 3650 out of the
            > box. i would like the Win XP machines on the network to be able to
            > print to it.
            >
            > after searching around for info. it sounded like i have to do a bit of
            > extra work to do this: flash OpenLink or FreeLink onto the LS and then
            > install CUPS and hplip. does this sound right? will that maintain
            > print server functionality?

            out-of-the-box solution found:

            i finally received a response from Buffalo regarding the slowness of
            the print server feature. i'm not sure why i didn't stumble upon this
            information anywhere else, but it worked perfectly for me:

            From: Buffalo Tech Support <info@...>
            Date: January 5, 2007 3:53:26 PM PST
            Subject: [Ticket#: 20151650]

            Thank you for contacting Buffalo technical support. I understand
            that you had
            some questions about the linkstation. The print server capability
            does not
            work very well with print spooling. Open control panel, printers
            and faxes,
            right click on the printer, left click on properties, click on
            advanced, and
            check off print directly to printer.

            this small change has the printer working extremely fast for me. i
            hope this helps out others.

            but now that i know about turning the little gizmo into a linux
            machine i will probably continue trying to figure out how to do that
            just for the fun of it.