Anyway to recover a bricked HGLAN400

  • pete54k
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2006
      I recently tried to use Buffalo's software upgrade tool to
      ugrade from 1.34 to 1.42. During the upgrade I received the
      error message the upgrade failed. When I power cycled the
      Linkstation I only get 5 flashes on the Diag LED and completely
      unresponsive to further upgrade attempts.

      I tried pressing the 'init' button for more than 20 seconds
      but it still does not respond to a ping on the original IP
      address I had configured or the default of 192.168.11.150.

      Customer support at Buffalo is useless. I was on-hold for 30
      minutes before anyone ever picked up the phone and their only
      response was to send the unit in for repairs at my expense.

      Anyway to recover? Would possibly a JTAG be able to reflash the
      ROM?

      Any help or comments are welcome.

      Pete
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pete54k" <pete.klemm@...>
        wrote:

        > I recently tried to use Buffalo's software upgrade tool to
        > ugrade from 1.34 to 1.42. During the upgrade I received the
        > error message the upgrade failed. When I power cycled the
        > Linkstation I only get 5 flashes on the Diag LED and completely
        > unresponsive to further upgrade attempts.
        >
        > I tried pressing the 'init' button for more than 20 seconds
        > but it still does not respond to a ping on the original IP
        > address I had configured or the default of 192.168.11.150.

        it looks like you have a faulty HG.
        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Non_Flashable_HD-HG300

        do you still have warranty? if yes they have to replace your box.
        if there is valuable data on the hdd then this is no choice...unless
        it is not noticeable that you opened the box following this
        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_white_LinkStation
        and this
        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_data_from_a_corrupted_or_damaged_hard_drive

        anyway you box is recoverable via JTAG + UBoot to 99 %.

        until now there was no ppc-box that was completely bricked.

        > Customer support at Buffalo is useless. I was on-hold for 30
        > minutes before anyone ever picked up the phone and their only
        > response was to send the unit in for repairs at my expense.

        Ask them for replacement if you still have warranty.
        they now the problem....but they only replace it if you insist.

        > Anyway to recover? Would possibly a JTAG be able to reflash the
        > ROM?

        yeah...as i stated above.
        here is the link to our unbricking service :)
        http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=1463

        best regards
        mindbender

        www.linkstationwiki.net