Kurobox / Linkstation kernel support in the mainline

  • Guennadi Liakhovetski
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
      Hello all

      As already announced on #kbox, and following my earlier posts, glad to
      announce that the kurobox / linkstation-ppc (/ terastation) support is in
      the mainline kernel. Mainline means it is in powerpc.git tree (see
      www.kernel.org/git) and might already be in Linus' tree too (*). Which
      means linux-2.6.20 will have support for our (ppc-based) systems. So far
      building and booting such a kernel is pretty complicated, so, this is
      mainly for developers, wishing to help cover more our platforms with that
      port. So far only KuroboxHG is supported, because this is what I have.
      Including more platforms means including missing drivers into
      linkstation_defconfig (**), and writing new .dts files based on
      arch/powerpc/boot/dts/kuroboxHG.dts. For more information and some
      (scarce) instructions see
      http://www.kurobox.com/revolution/downloads/contest/patchREADME (now that
      the voting is over this should not be considered as self-advertising:-)).
      U-boot patches are linked from the contests page too. I know I am bad at
      documentation writing, so, please ask.

      (*) If you try NOW you might get problems building Linus' tree, so, it
      might indeed be better to clone powerpc.git.

      (**) The goal is to build one kernel for all our ppc-based systems, hence,
      only one configuration file.

      Thanks
      Guennadi
      ---
      Guennadi Liakhovetski
    • Ross Burton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
        On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 22:49 +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
        > As already announced on #kbox, and following my earlier posts, glad
        > announce that the kurobox / linkstation-ppc (/ terastation) support is
        > in
        > the mainline kernel. Mainline means it is in powerpc.git tree (see
        > www.kernel.org/git) and might already be in Linus' tree too (*).
        > Which
        > means linux-2.6.20 will have support for our (ppc-based) systems.

        Excellent!

        > So far only KuroboxHG is supported, because this is what I have.

        I have an original LinkStation, and would be willing to attempt a build
        for it. Is there a prototype config file for the Linkstation that just
        needs testing?

        Ross
        --
        Ross Burton mail: ross@...
        jabber: ross@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
          On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Ross Burton wrote:

          > On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 22:49 +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
          >
          > > So far only KuroboxHG is supported, because this is what I have.
          >
          > I have an original LinkStation, and would be willing to attempt a build
          > for it. Is there a prototype config file for the Linkstation that just
          > needs testing?

          Ok, attached a suggested configuration for kurobox (not HG) / Linkstation
          based on the configuration from
          http://genbako.vodapone.com/kurobox-sources-2.6.19.patch
          I've removed a couple of features: smbfs, replaced with cifs, so far as a
          module; ide, replaced with pata sil680, which means your hard-disk will
          become sda instead of hda. You'd need to modify the kernel command-line
          and duplicate hda lines in /etc/fstab with sda ones. Might need to modify
          some more files. You may want to configure traditional IDE driver, but
          pata works better for me, with IDE my disk fails to boot in about 30% of
          cases, so, I'd prefer to use PATA_SIL680 in the default config:-) Might be
          some more options missing, you'll have to see what you need, but this
          should boot and support most of your hardware.

          More interesting will be u-boot support and flat device tree (.dts file).
          Don't forget you need a different base-clock frequency for UARTs. I'd
          suggest you first build a RAM version of u-boot to play with.

          If anything is unclear - ask.

          Have fun
          Guennadi
          ---