Re: [LinkStation_General] how to use wireless lan to connect the linkstation

  • mike redman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
      Hi I use a Belkin wireless G ethernet adapter to connect a
      Kubuntu distro machine to a wireless orange livebox. This
      way of connecting might need a windows machine to setup the
      adapter,but once running it boots fine with no Microsoft
      involvement. The kubuntu box sees the adapter as an
      ethernet cable connection. This means no problems with
      finding a linux wireless card or dongle. cheatimng I
      suppose, but it works!
      M.
      --- Anthony <kwokon611@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > As i am doing a project using linkstation, i want to ask
      > is there any
      > idea using wireless lan to connect the linkstation. since
      > i use a
      > wireless router to build a wireless lan, but i don't know
      > what wireless
      > adaptor can support linux and any software need?
      >
      > i hope all can help me then thank you
      >

      > Anthony

    • Ian White
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <kwokon611@...>
        wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > As i am doing a project using linkstation, i want to ask is there any
        > idea using wireless lan to connect the linkstation. since i use a
        > wireless router to build a wireless lan, but i don't know what
        wireless
        > adaptor can support linux and any software need?
        >
        > i hope all can help me then thank you
        >

        > Anthony

        Hi Anthony,

        I have a HDHLAN-250 connected to my wireless network.

        It is actually located in a neighbour's house across the road
        as an "off-site mirror/backup" of my "precious" data
        held on an HD-HGLAN400 which is my primary file server
        here in my house. (Backups of HD-HGLAN and 4 WinXP PCs
        actually performed/controlled by a Linksys NSLU2)

        In return my neighbour connects his PC to my network
        to share my "broadband" connection over this same wireless link
        and some of his data is also backed-up by hauling it across the road
        on the wireless link and then pushing it back across to the
        HD-HLAN250 back in his house also across the wireless link.
        He can then see his own backed-up data via a back and forward
        pair of wireless "hops"

        I use a (wired) ethernet to wireless adaptor (a.k.a. "bridge")
        Specifically an SMC2870W which supports 802.11g and WPA encryption
        but I am not sure whether you can still get this model
        because it is now quite old.

        But there are plenty of ethernet-to-wireless bridges
        and/or game console (XBox etc.) to wireless adaptors
        that may work for you without having to load *anything*
        onto the LinkStation.

        You just have to configure the "bridge" using a wired-connection
        from a PC first.

        What wireless access point/wireless router do you use?
        Maybe the same manufacturer also makes an ethernet-to-wireless bridge
        and so should work easily?

        Cheers
        Ian White
      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
          --- Ian White <iandavidwhite@...> wrote:

          > "Anthony" <kwokon611@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Dear all,
          > >
          > > As i am doing a project using linkstation, i want
          > to ask is there any
          > > idea using wireless lan to connect the
          > linkstation. since i use a
          > > wireless router to build a wireless lan, but i
          > don't know what
          > wireless
          > > adaptor can support linux and any software need?
          > >
          > > i hope all can help me then thank you
          > >

          > > Anthony

          D-Link has a number of products. Look under access
          points, range extenders and bridges to get the
          funcionality that you need. Linux not needed. Can be
          browser based configuration.

          http://mail.yahoo.com