how to use wireless lan to connect the linkstation

  • Anthony
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
      Dear all,

      As i am doing a project using linkstation, i want to ask is there any
      idea using wireless lan to connect the linkstation. since i use a
      wireless router to build a wireless lan, but i don't know what wireless
      adaptor can support linux and any software need?

      i hope all can help me then thank you

      Anthony
    • mike redman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
        Hi I use a Belkin wireless G ethernet adapter to connect a
        Kubuntu distro machine to a wireless orange livebox. This
        way of connecting might need a windows machine to setup the
        adapter,but once running it boots fine with no Microsoft
        involvement. The kubuntu box sees the adapter as an
        ethernet cable connection. This means no problems with
        finding a linux wireless card or dongle. cheatimng I
        suppose, but it works!
        M.
        --- Anthony <kwokon611@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > As i am doing a project using linkstation, i want to ask
        > is there any
        > idea using wireless lan to connect the linkstation. since
        > i use a
        > wireless router to build a wireless lan, but i don't know
        > what wireless
        > adaptor can support linux and any software need?
        >
        > i hope all can help me then thank you
        >

        > Anthony

      • Ian White
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <kwokon611@...>
          wrote:
          > Dear all,
          >
          > As i am doing a project using linkstation, i want to ask is there any
          > idea using wireless lan to connect the linkstation. since i use a
          > wireless router to build a wireless lan, but i don't know what
          wireless
          > adaptor can support linux and any software need?
          >
          > i hope all can help me then thank you
          >

          > Anthony

          Hi Anthony,

          I have a HDHLAN-250 connected to my wireless network.

          It is actually located in a neighbour's house across the road
          as an "off-site mirror/backup" of my "precious" data
          held on an HD-HGLAN400 which is my primary file server
          here in my house. (Backups of HD-HGLAN and 4 WinXP PCs
          actually performed/controlled by a Linksys NSLU2)

          In return my neighbour connects his PC to my network
          to share my "broadband" connection over this same wireless link
          and some of his data is also backed-up by hauling it across the road
          on the wireless link and then pushing it back across to the
          HD-HLAN250 back in his house also across the wireless link.
          He can then see his own backed-up data via a back and forward
          pair of wireless "hops"

          I use a (wired) ethernet to wireless adaptor (a.k.a. "bridge")
          Specifically an SMC2870W which supports 802.11g and WPA encryption
          but I am not sure whether you can still get this model
          because it is now quite old.

          But there are plenty of ethernet-to-wireless bridges
          and/or game console (XBox etc.) to wireless adaptors
          that may work for you without having to load *anything*
          onto the LinkStation.

          You just have to configure the "bridge" using a wired-connection
          from a PC first.

          What wireless access point/wireless router do you use?
          Maybe the same manufacturer also makes an ethernet-to-wireless bridge
          and so should work easily?

          Cheers
          Ian White
        • KeepIt SimpleStupid
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
            --- Ian White <iandavidwhite@...> wrote:

            > "Anthony" <kwokon611@...>
            > wrote:
            > > Dear all,
            > >
            > > As i am doing a project using linkstation, i want
            > to ask is there any
            > > idea using wireless lan to connect the
            > linkstation. since i use a
            > > wireless router to build a wireless lan, but i
            > don't know what
            > wireless
            > > adaptor can support linux and any software need?
            > >
            > > i hope all can help me then thank you
            > >

            > > Anthony

            D-Link has a number of products. Look under access
            points, range extenders and bridges to get the
            funcionality that you need. Linux not needed. Can be
            browser based configuration.

            http://mail.yahoo.com