Re: Broken LS (HD-H120LAN) .. any debug strategies?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp
      <chris@...> wrote:

      > Phil,
      >
      > Just a wild shot, but it sounds like your machine is in EM mode
      (steady
      > green after 10 seconds). I thought mine was hosed, but I plugged
      it
      > into my router, turned it on, and did a port scan. I found it had
      taken
      > up a completely unexpected IP address, but after I "found" it, it
      > responded normally. You might give that a whirl...
      >
      > Chris

      Sounds like a good guess to me. What was that factory default IP
      again? 192.168.1.100 or something like that?

      > philhochstetler wrote:
      > >
      > > I bought a broken LinkStation. The 120GB hard drive spins up and
      > > the blinking power light goes steady after about 10 seconds but
      > > I can not get it to connect over the network connection

      > > One thought I had was to add a USB network card but I'll bet
      > > there are not any drivers for such a device by default.

      If it won't enable the factory port, it probably won't enable a USB
      one either. My LS-1 has an ADMtek NC100 based ethernet chip, you
      could try a USB one based on the same chip (easier said than done),
      otherwise you would need to sneaked additional modules on the hard
      drive and configure them to load, which could be done, but probably
      not the problem anyway.

      > > I am going to add the serial port hack once I find the right
      > > parts to build the rs232 level shifter. That might give me more
      > > info about whether the ethernet chip is found or not.

      Yes.

      > > Can I update the system by taking the drive to another system?

      Yes. Pull it out, put it in a system you can boot up a Knoppix CD
      on, (if not a "real" Linux workstation), run the "fixmagic" util
      to "unlock" the partition table, and the drive is open to you.

      > > Any suggestions on what options I should pursue?

      Hopefully it's only stuck in EM mode. On a Linkstation (as opposed
      to a Kurobox) I think the only way out of EM mode is an OS
      update/reinstall. Good time to load in Openlink or Freelink.
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
        Could be just a bad firmware install. I just replaced a 160GB with a
        320 GB after backing up all my data off the old drive. And then used
        the firmware updater to put the LS 1.47 firmware I had back into the
        unit. I had to do this twice, because the first time always fails.
        But then it works ok and starts initializing the drive and
        partitioning it and formatting so it will be ready to go.

        If your fine with a 120 GB, try this. But for about $100, you can
        still get a 320 GB brand new and do what I have stated.

        I found the extensive directions on how to do this on the internet,
        but doing it is much simpler than how the instructions were written
        out. The guy that wrote the instructions made it sound like you had
        to jump through hoops and be a grand master at Linux. This was not
        so, and I had a working LS in about an hour.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "philhochstetler"