Re: I have a partially bootable brick

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27 8:30 PM
      I had to rescue my Debianized Linkstation from a similar fate a
      couple of years ago. I fixed the OS by booting on a different drive
      with a "virgin" OS image, then used it to repair my Debian OS that I
      connected to the Linkstation via USB connection.

      I think your first step is to figure out why your LS isn't booting
      on a "fresh" drive image. How are you running the 2.6 kernel? Are
      you using uboot or the loader.o kernel module?

      If you are just doing loader.o, then it should boot a fresh "virgin"
      image just fine. Maybe you need to disclose exactly what you have
      done so we can help troubleshoot it for you.

      If you are using uboot, then the drive needs to be prepared to be
      the way uboot would expect it. I'm not up-to-speed on uboot, but
      hopefully it doesn't expect the kernel to be at specific physical
      drive sector locations like many boot loaders do! This kernel
      placement would be hard to duplicate, you'd probably then need to
      try to get a serial console going or worse yet: JTAG, in order to
      give uboot special instructions, assuming that could even work!
      Then again, I don't know uboot-on-Linkstation (yet), and am assuming
      you put the kernel on the hard drive instead of flash memory, which
      may not be correct. Try to find someone who know more about it.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp
      <chris@...> wrote:
      > I find myself in a rather strange situation.
      > I have an original LS that I flashed into a Kurobox long ago.
      > normally partitioned, and I've been happily running Gentoo on it
      > well over a year, and had recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.
      > was doing great until I decided to upgrade gcc to 4.1.1. This
      > upgrading many other things, and I ran into odd conflicts all over
      > place. I started poking here and prodding there, emerging and
      > unemerging, trying to get things into a stable situation. I
      > gcc back to 3.4.4, which involved more emerging and poking and
      > and the such, and just when I thought I had everything under
      control, I
      > rebooted my machine.
      > It never came back.
      > I figured that at some point along the way I did something fatal
      > did not manifest itself until boot time, and decided to wipe the
      > clean and reinstall a known good version of Gentoo on the first
      > partition. I followed the instructions in
      > http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image,
      > explains how to install a precompiled Gentoo onto a virgin
      > I had to do some things differently (those instructions presuppose
      > bootable machine, which I don't have), but I generally followed
      > pretty well. However, I still can not get the LS to boot.
      > When I turn on the power, the green lights flash for a moment,
      > within about 10 seconds go solid, and I can hear no further disk
      > activity. It seems that the LS gets started, but just can't quite
      > boot. The machine does not answer to ping. I did some further
      > investigations, and found that all the symbolic links that pointed
      to an
      > absolute pathname got clobbered during my install (including all
      > in /etc/runlevels), and I manually repaired those as best as I
      could (at
      > least the ones in /etc/runlevels). But the LS still won't boot.
      > The only way I can access anything is by putting the disk into a
      > enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either
      XP or a