Installed Gentoo (again), system got clobbered by emerge

  • Christopher Eykamp
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 2006
      Hello,

      I followed the instructions for installing Gentoo here:

      http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image

      It worked great. Until I tried to emerge a package, that is. When I
      ran emerge, the package I wanted was successfully emerged, but a ton of
      critical stuff was "autocleaned" out, causing my system to fail
      catastrophically (things like Python and ssh were removed!!!)

      I looked at the file /var/lib/portage/world, and it only had a single
      entry. I think that emerge is not aware of what has been installed.

      Has anyone successfully followed these instructions and had emerge
      work? Any suggestions on how to make emerge aware of what is
      installed? Any idea how I can find out what has been installed on the
      image linked from that page? Any ideas on how to fix this situation?

      Thanks,

      Chris
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2006
        shouldn`t it be possible in EM Mode to use the standard gentoo
        installation procedure?

        what box do you have?

        i have enhanced the stock firmimg.bins of the linkstations so that
        they even are more enhanced than the kurobox EM Mode and it is
        possible to telnet + ftp while in EM Mode.

        i already included the EM Mede binaries there (fdisk...)

        what else besides fdisk, chroot and mounting of the hdd do you need
        for installating gentoo? the kernel is in flash so this is also no
        problem...

        avr_evtd can be used to deal with the watchdog timer + button monitoring.

        -- mindbender
        www.linkstationwiki.net

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp
        <chris@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I followed the instructions for installing Gentoo here:
        >
        > http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image
        >
        > It worked great. Until I tried to emerge a package, that is. When I
        > ran emerge, the package I wanted was successfully emerged, but a ton of
        > critical stuff was "autocleaned" out, causing my system to fail
        > catastrophically (things like Python and ssh were removed!!!)
        >
        > I looked at the file /var/lib/portage/world, and it only had a single
        > entry. I think that emerge is not aware of what has been installed.
        >
        > Has anyone successfully followed these instructions and had emerge
        > work? Any suggestions on how to make emerge aware of what is
        > installed? Any idea how I can find out what has been installed on the
        > image linked from that page? Any ideas on how to fix this situation?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Chris

      • Christopher Eykamp
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2006
          Yes, it should be possible to take the standard route to installing Gentoo, and that's probably what I'll do.  I had hoped to avoid all the compiling, but I'm thinking that I may have no choice.  The lure of a 15 minute install is compelling...  I'm going to look at the outdated image the page links to and see if that has the same problem.  I'm also looking into ways of regenerating the world file, but nothing I've tried to date works very well.

          <chris@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I followed the instructions for installing Gentoo here:
          >
          > http://www.kurobox. com/mwiki/ index.php/ Install_the_ Gentoo_Image
          >
          > It worked great. Until I tried to emerge a package, that is. When I
          > ran emerge, the package I wanted was successfully emerged, but a ton of
          > critical stuff was "autocleaned" out, causing my system to fail
          > catastrophically (things like Python and ssh were removed!!!)
          >
          > I looked at the file /var/lib/portage/ world, and it only had a single
          > entry. I think that emerge is not aware of what has been installed.
          >
          > Has anyone successfully followed these instructions and had emerge
          > work? Any suggestions on how to make emerge aware of what is
          > installed? Any idea how I can find out what has been installed on the
          > image linked from that page? Any ideas on how to fix this situation?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Chris

        • Christopher Eykamp
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2006
            I think I figured out what the problem was.  I had not fully wiped my /var folder (which was unaffected by the rm -fr I ran from the root folder because it was a separate mounted drive).  Therefore, when I reinstalled. there was still remnants of old emerges floating around, and that caused things to go haywire.

            Completely wiping /var and reinstalling the files on /var from the archive seem to have largely resolved the problem  I'm emerging something now, so we'll see if it works out as well as I think it will.

            Chris