Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: I have a partially bootable brick

  • Christopher Eykamp
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
      Musikgoat/Blackebyd,

      Thanks much for your suggestions.  The link below suggested running a port scanner, which I did, and found that my LS/Kuro was sitting happily on my network with an unexpected IP address, in EM mode.  I am now in the process of reinstalling Gentoo, and, with luck, everything will be good again soon.

      Thanks again,

      Chris

      musikgoat wrote:

      I would agree. Since you can boot from USB enclosure, I would delete
      all partitions and then start the unit back up. (Not formatting it of
      course, but its good to back up your data, as a safeguard) For the
      linkstation, if the default partitions are not detected, you will
      notice that the unit will boot into EM-mode.
      http://linkstationw iki.net/index. php?title= Recover_a_ non_working_ %22bricked% 22_Linkstation

      You will know that it is in EM mode if you run the firmware updater or
      client util and the name comes up as HD-HLANxxxEM or something with
      EM at the end.

      You can flash with whatever firmware you would like.

      My units hda1 partition had gotten corrupted somehow a few weeks ago
      and this was all that I could do to recover it.

      Good Luck

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006
        I had to rescue my Debianized Linkstation from a similar fate a
        couple of years ago. I fixed the OS by booting on a different drive
        with a "virgin" OS image, then used it to repair my Debian OS that I
        connected to the Linkstation via USB connection.

        I think your first step is to figure out why your LS isn't booting
        on a "fresh" drive image. How are you running the 2.6 kernel? Are
        you using uboot or the loader.o kernel module?

        If you are just doing loader.o, then it should boot a fresh "virgin"
        image just fine. Maybe you need to disclose exactly what you have
        done so we can help troubleshoot it for you.

        If you are using uboot, then the drive needs to be prepared to be
        the way uboot would expect it. I'm not up-to-speed on uboot, but
        hopefully it doesn't expect the kernel to be at specific physical
        drive sector locations like many boot loaders do! This kernel
        placement would be hard to duplicate, you'd probably then need to
        try to get a serial console going or worse yet: JTAG, in order to
        give uboot special instructions, assuming that could even work!
        Then again, I don't know uboot-on-Linkstation (yet), and am assuming
        you put the kernel on the hard drive instead of flash memory, which
        may not be correct. Try to find someone who know more about it.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp
        <chris@...> wrote:

        > I find myself in a rather strange situation.
        >
        > I have an original LS that I flashed into a Kurobox long ago.
        It's
        > normally partitioned, and I've been happily running Gentoo on it
        for
        > well over a year, and had recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.
        Everything
        > was doing great until I decided to upgrade gcc to 4.1.1. This
        involved
        > upgrading many other things, and I ran into odd conflicts all over
        the
        > place. I started poking here and prodding there, emerging and
        > unemerging, trying to get things into a stable situation. I
        downgraded
        > gcc back to 3.4.4, which involved more emerging and poking and
        prodding
        > and the such, and just when I thought I had everything under
        control, I
        > rebooted my machine.
        >
        > It never came back.
        >
        > I figured that at some point along the way I did something fatal
        that
        > did not manifest itself until boot time, and decided to wipe the
        slate
        > clean and reinstall a known good version of Gentoo on the first
        > partition. I followed the instructions in
        > http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image,
        which
        > explains how to install a precompiled Gentoo onto a virgin
        Linkstation.
        > I had to do some things differently (those instructions presuppose
        > bootable machine, which I don't have), but I generally followed
        along
        > pretty well. However, I still can not get the LS to boot.
        >
        > When I turn on the power, the green lights flash for a moment,
        then
        > within about 10 seconds go solid, and I can hear no further disk
        > activity. It seems that the LS gets started, but just can't quite
        > boot. The machine does not answer to ping. I did some further
        > investigations, and found that all the symbolic links that pointed
        to an
        > absolute pathname got clobbered during my install (including all
        those
        > in /etc/runlevels), and I manually repaired those as best as I
        could (at
        > least the ones in /etc/runlevels). But the LS still won't boot.
        >
        > The only way I can access anything is by putting the disk into a
        USB
        > enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either
        XP or a