Broken LS (HD-H120LAN) .. any debug strategies?

  • philhochstetler
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2006
      I bought a broken LinkStation. The 120GB hard drive spins up and the
      blinking power light goes steady after about 10 seconds but I can not
      get it to connect over the network connection (no ethernet lights on
      either end of the cable). I have taken it apart and nothing is
      obviously is broken on the board (no obvious broken traces or smoked
      parts) so I am wondering what are my options?
      One thought I had was to add a USB network card but I'll bet there
      are not any drivers for such a device by default. I am going to add
      the serial port hack once I find the right parts to build the rs232
      level shifter. That might give me more info about whether the
      ethernet chip is found or not. Can I update the system by taking the
      drive to another system? As far as I know it is still running stock
      software (but I did buy it second hand so who knows). Any suggestions
      on what options I should pursue?
      Thanks
      --phil
    • Christopher Eykamp

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp
          <chris@...> wrote:

          > Phil,
          >
          > Just a wild shot, but it sounds like your machine is in EM mode
          (steady
          > green after 10 seconds). I thought mine was hosed, but I plugged
          it
          > into my router, turned it on, and did a port scan. I found it had
          taken
          > up a completely unexpected IP address, but after I "found" it, it
          > responded normally. You might give that a whirl...
          >
          > Chris

          Sounds like a good guess to me. What was that factory default IP
          again? 192.168.1.100 or something like that?

          > philhochstetler wrote:
          > >
          > > I bought a broken LinkStation. The 120GB hard drive spins up and
          > > the blinking power light goes steady after about 10 seconds but
          > > I can not get it to connect over the network connection

          > > One thought I had was to add a USB network card but I'll bet
          > > there are not any drivers for such a device by default.

          If it won't enable the factory port, it probably won't enable a USB
          one either. My LS-1 has an ADMtek NC100 based ethernet chip, you
          could try a USB one based on the same chip (easier said than done),
          otherwise you would need to sneaked additional modules on the hard
          drive and configure them to load, which could be done, but probably
          not the problem anyway.

          > > I am going to add the serial port hack once I find the right
          > > parts to build the rs232 level shifter. That might give me more
          > > info about whether the ethernet chip is found or not.

          Yes.

          > > Can I update the system by taking the drive to another system?

          Yes. Pull it out, put it in a system you can boot up a Knoppix CD
          on, (if not a "real" Linux workstation), run the "fixmagic" util
          to "unlock" the partition table, and the drive is open to you.

          > > Any suggestions on what options I should pursue?

          Hopefully it's only stuck in EM mode. On a Linkstation (as opposed
          to a Kurobox) I think the only way out of EM mode is an OS
          update/reinstall. Good time to load in Openlink or Freelink.
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2006
            Could be just a bad firmware install. I just replaced a 160GB with a
            320 GB after backing up all my data off the old drive. And then used
            the firmware updater to put the LS 1.47 firmware I had back into the
            unit. I had to do this twice, because the first time always fails.
            But then it works ok and starts initializing the drive and
            partitioning it and formatting so it will be ready to go.

            If your fine with a 120 GB, try this. But for about $100, you can
            still get a 320 GB brand new and do what I have stated.

            I found the extensive directions on how to do this on the internet,
            but doing it is much simpler than how the instructions were written
            out. The guy that wrote the instructions made it sound like you had
            to jump through hoops and be a grand master at Linux. This was not
            so, and I had a working LS in about an hour.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "philhochstetler"