Re: I have a partially bootable brick

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "blackebyd"
      <david.blackeby@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Everything
      > > was doing great until I decided to upgrade gcc to 4.1.1. This
      > involved
      > > upgrading many other things, and I ran into odd conflicts all over
      > the
      > > place. I started poking here and prodding there, emerging and
      > > unemerging, trying to get things into a stable situation. I
      > downgraded
      > > gcc back to 3.4.4, which involved more emerging and poking and
      > prodding
      > > and the such, and just when I thought I had everything under
      > control, I
      > > rebooted my machine.
      > >
      > > It never came back.
      > >
      > > I figured that at some point along the way I did something fatal
      > that
      > > did not manifest itself until boot time, and decided to wipe the
      > slate
      > > clean and reinstall a known good version of Gentoo on the first
      > > partition. I followed the instructions in
      > > http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image,
      > which
      > > explains how to install a precompiled Gentoo onto a virgin
      > Linkstation.
      > > I had to do some things differently (those instructions presuppose
      > > bootable machine, which I don't have), but I generally followed
      > along
      > > pretty well. However, I still can not get the LS to boot.
      > >
      > > When I turn on the power, the green lights flash for a moment, then
      > > within about 10 seconds go solid, and I can hear no further disk
      > > activity. It seems that the LS gets started, but just can't quite
      > > boot. The machine does not answer to ping. I did some further
      > > investigations, and found that all the symbolic links that pointed
      > to an
      > > absolute pathname got clobbered during my install (including all
      > those
      > > in /etc/runlevels), and I manually repaired those as best as I
      > could (at
      > > least the ones in /etc/runlevels). But the LS still won't boot.
      > >
      > > The only way I can access anything is by putting the disk into a
      > USB
      > > enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either XP
      > or a
      > > Knoppix Live CD. The drive itself seems in good condition, and all
      > data
      > > is present and accounted for.
      > >
      > > Any ideas on what I can try to recover the situation?
      > >
      > > Thanks much,
      > >
      > > Chris Eykamp
      > > Zemmer, Germany
      > >
      > I'm not sure how it works with the linkstations, but for a Kurobox
      > you would need to get back into EM mode to be able to fix the disk,
      > the easiest way of which is to delete the partitions by taking the
      > disk out and placing it in another bootable PC.
      >
      > For the linkstation I'm not sure this is possible, so you might have
      > to use the process for upgrading to FreeLink or Openlink form the

      I would agree. Since you can boot from USB enclosure, I would delete
      all partitions and then start the unit back up. (Not formatting it of
      course, but its good to back up your data, as a safeguard) For the
      linkstation, if the default partitions are not detected, you will
      notice that the unit will boot into EM-mode.
      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation

      You will know that it is in EM mode if you run the firmware updater or
      client util and the name comes up as HD-HLANxxxEM or something with
      EM at the end.

      You can flash with whatever firmware you would like.

      My units hda1 partition had gotten corrupted somehow a few weeks ago
      and this was all that I could do to recover it.

      Good Luck
    • Christopher Eykamp

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006
          I had to rescue my Debianized Linkstation from a similar fate a
          couple of years ago. I fixed the OS by booting on a different drive
          with a "virgin" OS image, then used it to repair my Debian OS that I
          connected to the Linkstation via USB connection.

          I think your first step is to figure out why your LS isn't booting
          on a "fresh" drive image. How are you running the 2.6 kernel? Are
          you using uboot or the loader.o kernel module?

          If you are just doing loader.o, then it should boot a fresh "virgin"
          image just fine. Maybe you need to disclose exactly what you have
          done so we can help troubleshoot it for you.

          If you are using uboot, then the drive needs to be prepared to be
          the way uboot would expect it. I'm not up-to-speed on uboot, but
          hopefully it doesn't expect the kernel to be at specific physical
          drive sector locations like many boot loaders do! This kernel
          placement would be hard to duplicate, you'd probably then need to
          try to get a serial console going or worse yet: JTAG, in order to
          give uboot special instructions, assuming that could even work!
          Then again, I don't know uboot-on-Linkstation (yet), and am assuming
          you put the kernel on the hard drive instead of flash memory, which
          may not be correct. Try to find someone who know more about it.