Re: I have a partially bootable brick

  • blackebyd
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp
      <chris@...> wrote:

      > I find myself in a rather strange situation.
      >
      > I have an original LS that I flashed into a Kurobox long ago. It's
      > normally partitioned, and I've been happily running Gentoo on it
      for
      > well over a year, and had recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.
      Everything
      > was doing great until I decided to upgrade gcc to 4.1.1. This
      involved
      > upgrading many other things, and I ran into odd conflicts all over
      the
      > place. I started poking here and prodding there, emerging and
      > unemerging, trying to get things into a stable situation. I
      downgraded
      > gcc back to 3.4.4, which involved more emerging and poking and
      prodding
      > and the such, and just when I thought I had everything under
      control, I
      > rebooted my machine.
      >
      > It never came back.
      >
      > I figured that at some point along the way I did something fatal
      that
      > did not manifest itself until boot time, and decided to wipe the
      slate
      > clean and reinstall a known good version of Gentoo on the first
      > partition. I followed the instructions in
      > http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image,
      which
      > explains how to install a precompiled Gentoo onto a virgin
      Linkstation.
      > I had to do some things differently (those instructions presuppose
      > bootable machine, which I don't have), but I generally followed
      along
      > pretty well. However, I still can not get the LS to boot.
      >
      > When I turn on the power, the green lights flash for a moment, then
      > within about 10 seconds go solid, and I can hear no further disk
      > activity. It seems that the LS gets started, but just can't quite
      > boot. The machine does not answer to ping. I did some further
      > investigations, and found that all the symbolic links that pointed
      to an
      > absolute pathname got clobbered during my install (including all
      those
      > in /etc/runlevels), and I manually repaired those as best as I
      could (at
      > least the ones in /etc/runlevels). But the LS still won't boot.
      >
      > The only way I can access anything is by putting the disk into a
      USB
      > enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either XP
      or a
      > Knoppix Live CD. The drive itself seems in good condition, and all
      data
      > is present and accounted for.
      >
      > Any ideas on what I can try to recover the situation?
      >
      > Thanks much,
      >
      > Chris Eykamp
      > Zemmer, Germany

      I'm not sure how it works with the linkstations, but for a Kurobox
      you would need to get back into EM mode to be able to fix the disk,
      the easiest way of which is to delete the partitions by taking the
      disk out and placing it in another bootable PC.

      For the linkstation I'm not sure this is possible, so you might have
      to use the process for upgrading to FreeLink or Openlink form the
      linkstation wiki site.
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "blackebyd"
        <david.blackeby@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > USB
        > > enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either XP
        > or a
        > > Knoppix Live CD. The drive itself seems in good condition, and all
        > data
        > > is present and accounted for.
        > >
        > > Any ideas on what I can try to recover the situation?
        > >
        > > Thanks much,
        > >
        > > Chris Eykamp
        > > Zemmer, Germany
        > >
        > I'm not sure how it works with the linkstations, but for a Kurobox
        > you would need to get back into EM mode to be able to fix the disk,
        > the easiest way of which is to delete the partitions by taking the
        > disk out and placing it in another bootable PC.
        >
        > For the linkstation I'm not sure this is possible, so you might have
        > to use the process for upgrading to FreeLink or Openlink form the

        I would agree. Since you can boot from USB enclosure, I would delete
        all partitions and then start the unit back up. (Not formatting it of
        course, but its good to back up your data, as a safeguard) For the
        linkstation, if the default partitions are not detected, you will
        notice that the unit will boot into EM-mode.
        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation

        You will know that it is in EM mode if you run the firmware updater or
        client util and the name comes up as HD-HLANxxxEM or something with
        EM at the end.

        You can flash with whatever firmware you would like.

        My units hda1 partition had gotten corrupted somehow a few weeks ago
        and this was all that I could do to recover it.

        Good Luck
      • Christopher Eykamp

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006
            I had to rescue my Debianized Linkstation from a similar fate a
            couple of years ago. I fixed the OS by booting on a different drive
            with a "virgin" OS image, then used it to repair my Debian OS that I
            connected to the Linkstation via USB connection.

            I think your first step is to figure out why your LS isn't booting
            on a "fresh" drive image. How are you running the 2.6 kernel? Are
            you using uboot or the loader.o kernel module?

            If you are just doing loader.o, then it should boot a fresh "virgin"
            image just fine. Maybe you need to disclose exactly what you have
            done so we can help troubleshoot it for you.

            If you are using uboot, then the drive needs to be prepared to be
            the way uboot would expect it. I'm not up-to-speed on uboot, but
            hopefully it doesn't expect the kernel to be at specific physical
            drive sector locations like many boot loaders do! This kernel
            placement would be hard to duplicate, you'd probably then need to
            try to get a serial console going or worse yet: JTAG, in order to
            give uboot special instructions, assuming that could even work!
            Then again, I don't know uboot-on-Linkstation (yet), and am assuming
            you put the kernel on the hard drive instead of flash memory, which
            may not be correct. Try to find someone who know more about it.