I have a partially bootable brick

  • Christopher Eykamp
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2006
      I find myself in a rather strange situation.

      I have an original LS that I flashed into a Kurobox long ago. It's
      normally partitioned, and I've been happily running Gentoo on it for
      well over a year, and had recently upgraded to kernel 2.6. Everything
      was doing great until I decided to upgrade gcc to 4.1.1. This involved
      upgrading many other things, and I ran into odd conflicts all over the
      place. I started poking here and prodding there, emerging and
      unemerging, trying to get things into a stable situation. I downgraded
      gcc back to 3.4.4, which involved more emerging and poking and prodding
      and the such, and just when I thought I had everything under control, I
      rebooted my machine.

      It never came back.

      I figured that at some point along the way I did something fatal that
      did not manifest itself until boot time, and decided to wipe the slate
      clean and reinstall a known good version of Gentoo on the first
      partition. I followed the instructions in
      http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image, which
      explains how to install a precompiled Gentoo onto a virgin Linkstation.
      I had to do some things differently (those instructions presuppose a
      bootable machine, which I don't have), but I generally followed along
      pretty well. However, I still can not get the LS to boot.

      When I turn on the power, the green lights flash for a moment, then
      within about 10 seconds go solid, and I can hear no further disk
      activity. It seems that the LS gets started, but just can't quite
      boot. The machine does not answer to ping. I did some further
      investigations, and found that all the symbolic links that pointed to an
      absolute pathname got clobbered during my install (including all those
      in /etc/runlevels), and I manually repaired those as best as I could (at
      least the ones in /etc/runlevels). But the LS still won't boot.

      The only way I can access anything is by putting the disk into a USB
      enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either XP or a
      Knoppix Live CD. The drive itself seems in good condition, and all data
      is present and accounted for.

      Any ideas on what I can try to recover the situation?

      Thanks much,

      Chris Eykamp
      Zemmer, Germany
    • blackebyd
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Eykamp
        <chris@...> wrote:

        > I find myself in a rather strange situation.
        >
        > I have an original LS that I flashed into a Kurobox long ago. It's
        > normally partitioned, and I've been happily running Gentoo on it
        for
        > well over a year, and had recently upgraded to kernel 2.6.
        Everything
        > was doing great until I decided to upgrade gcc to 4.1.1. This
        involved
        > upgrading many other things, and I ran into odd conflicts all over
        the
        > place. I started poking here and prodding there, emerging and
        > unemerging, trying to get things into a stable situation. I
        downgraded
        > gcc back to 3.4.4, which involved more emerging and poking and
        prodding
        > and the such, and just when I thought I had everything under
        control, I
        > rebooted my machine.
        >
        > It never came back.
        >
        > I figured that at some point along the way I did something fatal
        that
        > did not manifest itself until boot time, and decided to wipe the
        slate
        > clean and reinstall a known good version of Gentoo on the first
        > partition. I followed the instructions in
        > http://www.kurobox.com/mwiki/index.php/Install_the_Gentoo_Image,
        which
        > explains how to install a precompiled Gentoo onto a virgin
        Linkstation.
        > I had to do some things differently (those instructions presuppose
        > bootable machine, which I don't have), but I generally followed
        along
        > pretty well. However, I still can not get the LS to boot.
        >
        > When I turn on the power, the green lights flash for a moment, then
        > within about 10 seconds go solid, and I can hear no further disk
        > activity. It seems that the LS gets started, but just can't quite
        > boot. The machine does not answer to ping. I did some further
        > investigations, and found that all the symbolic links that pointed
        to an
        > absolute pathname got clobbered during my install (including all
        those
        > in /etc/runlevels), and I manually repaired those as best as I
        could (at
        > least the ones in /etc/runlevels). But the LS still won't boot.
        >
        > The only way I can access anything is by putting the disk into a
        USB
        > enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either XP
        or a
        > Knoppix Live CD. The drive itself seems in good condition, and all
        data
        > is present and accounted for.
        >
        > Any ideas on what I can try to recover the situation?
        >
        > Thanks much,
        >
        > Chris Eykamp
        > Zemmer, Germany

        I'm not sure how it works with the linkstations, but for a Kurobox
        you would need to get back into EM mode to be able to fix the disk,
        the easiest way of which is to delete the partitions by taking the
        disk out and placing it in another bootable PC.

        For the linkstation I'm not sure this is possible, so you might have
        to use the process for upgrading to FreeLink or Openlink form the
        linkstation wiki site.
      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "blackebyd"
          <david.blackeby@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > USB
          > > enclosure, then treating it as an external USB drive from either XP
          > or a
          > > Knoppix Live CD. The drive itself seems in good condition, and all
          > data
          > > is present and accounted for.
          > >
          > > Any ideas on what I can try to recover the situation?
          > >
          > > Thanks much,
          > >
          > > Chris Eykamp
          > > Zemmer, Germany
          > >
          > I'm not sure how it works with the linkstations, but for a Kurobox
          > you would need to get back into EM mode to be able to fix the disk,
          > the easiest way of which is to delete the partitions by taking the
          > disk out and placing it in another bootable PC.
          >
          > For the linkstation I'm not sure this is possible, so you might have
          > to use the process for upgrading to FreeLink or Openlink form the

          I would agree. Since you can boot from USB enclosure, I would delete
          all partitions and then start the unit back up. (Not formatting it of
          course, but its good to back up your data, as a safeguard) For the
          linkstation, if the default partitions are not detected, you will
          notice that the unit will boot into EM-mode.
          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation

          You will know that it is in EM mode if you run the firmware updater or
          client util and the name comes up as HD-HLANxxxEM or something with
          EM at the end.

          You can flash with whatever firmware you would like.

          My units hda1 partition had gotten corrupted somehow a few weeks ago
          and this was all that I could do to recover it.

          Good Luck
        • Christopher Eykamp

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 27, 2006
              I had to rescue my Debianized Linkstation from a similar fate a
              couple of years ago. I fixed the OS by booting on a different drive
              with a "virgin" OS image, then used it to repair my Debian OS that I
              connected to the Linkstation via USB connection.

              I think your first step is to figure out why your LS isn't booting
              on a "fresh" drive image. How are you running the 2.6 kernel? Are
              you using uboot or the loader.o kernel module?

              If you are just doing loader.o, then it should boot a fresh "virgin"
              image just fine. Maybe you need to disclose exactly what you have
              done so we can help troubleshoot it for you.

              If you are using uboot, then the drive needs to be prepared to be
              the way uboot would expect it. I'm not up-to-speed on uboot, but
              hopefully it doesn't expect the kernel to be at specific physical
              drive sector locations like many boot loaders do! This kernel
              placement would be hard to duplicate, you'd probably then need to
              try to get a serial console going or worse yet: JTAG, in order to
              give uboot special instructions, assuming that could even work!
              Then again, I don't know uboot-on-Linkstation (yet), and am assuming
              you put the kernel on the hard drive instead of flash memory, which
              may not be correct. Try to find someone who know more about it.