No access to Internet with my Linkstation

  • febonrw
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2006
      Hi all,

      since two weeks I tried to connect to Internet with my Linkstation but
      nothing works.

      first of all.

      LS HD-HGLAN 300 with openlink-0.73b and Kernel linux-2.4.33.3
      IP, DNS and gateway via DHCP from my router (192.168.0.1).

      resolv.conf --> nameserver 192.168.0.1

      I can ping any site´s like www.yahoo.com and get back the right IP
      (209.73.186.238). So I think the DNS and gateway works fine. Isn´t it?

      rsyn, wget and shh also works fine in the "local" network but I am
      unable to connect any hosts via rsyn, wget or shh outsite my "local"
      network.

      Another problem is that I am unable to connect my FTP-Server via
      Browser like firefox (ftp://my-ip). It works fine if I login into my
      server (online root-server) via ssh and try to download any file via
      wget ftp://my-ip/anyfile.

      Another debian-server on my workbench works fin with ssh, wget or
      rsycn. I don´t know what wrong. Can anybody help me?

      I´m sorry for my english :):)
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "febonrw" <febonrw@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > since two weeks I tried to connect to Internet with my Linkstation but
        > nothing works.
        >
        > first of all.
        >
        > LS HD-HGLAN 300 with openlink-0.73b and Kernel linux-2.4.33.3
        > IP, DNS and gateway via DHCP from my router (192.168.0.1).
        >
        > resolv.conf --> nameserver 192.168.0.1
        >
        > I can ping any site´s like www.yahoo.com and get back the right IP
        > (209.73.186.238). So I think the DNS and gateway works fine. Isn´t it?
        >
        > rsyn, wget and shh also works fine in the "local" network but I am
        > unable to connect any hosts via rsyn, wget or shh outsite my "local"
        > network.
        >
        > Another problem is that I am unable to connect my FTP-Server via
        > Browser like firefox (ftp://my-ip). It works fine if I login into my
        > server (online root-server) via ssh and try to download any file via
        > wget ftp://my-ip/anyfile.
        >
        > Another debian-server on my workbench works fin with ssh, wget or
        > rsycn. I don´t know what wrong. Can anybody help me?
        >
        > I´m sorry for my english :):)

        I'm sorry if I'm not understanding this correctly, but you are trying
        to access these protocols in the linkstation from outside your network?
        If that is correct, you seem to have a router acting as a firewall
        that is probably port forwarding your ssh and rsync ports? If so,
        you may have to either set your ports to non standard on the
        linkstation to allow for port forwarding to that IP.
        Otherwise, if your router supports port number forwarding, you could
        add a port WAN 22222 to LAN 22 with IP of the linkstation. Not alot
        of routers support that, I had to flash my linksys router with dd-wrt
        firmware to get that functionality.

        Let me know if this helps or makes sense.