Linkstation HS-D300GL Home Server FTP Problem

  • dave_gilfillan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
      I've just bought the Linkstation HS-D300GL Home Server from Amazon for
      £130. Plugged, the ethernet cable straight into by Netgear DG834GT
      Wireless ADSL Router and was up and running in just a few minutes. I
      logged in as 'root' and proceeded to map to the drive with no glitches.

      I can connect via http straight to my linkstation to bring up the
      setup console where I can set IP addresses, FTP Server Settings,
      Users, etc.

      Today, however I have spent hours trying to get the ftp server to work!

      I followed Buffalo's pdf guide and searched many sites including this
      group for some clue, without success.

      I have enabled the FTP Server in the console and allowed
      for 'Anonymous' access.

      I have tried allowing the Linkstation to have its IP assigned
      automatically by DHCP from the router and have also tried manually
      assigning it (bot inside and outside the DHCP range).

      The problem is not regarding access from outside the LAN (I'll cross
      that bridge later) but rather from within the LAN.

      My Desktop's iternal IP is 192.168.0.1
      MY DHCP range is 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.49
      My Linkstation is: 192.168.0.50
      I'm running Windows XP Professional (2002) SP2

      I can ping the linkstation no problem.

      When I try to connect using ftp by a browser (IE 6.0 sp2 or Firefox
      1.5.0.8) I receive a prompt to login. I type 'Anonymous' as username
      and leave the password or email field blank. This causes a '530 Can't
      set guest privileges' messages to appear.

      If I fill in the email field with my email address (or any for that
      matter) - It just gets kicked back to the login promp in IE or I
      receive the same message as above in Firefox.

      If I open a cmd prompt and type 'ftp 192.168.0.50' to connect to the
      linkstation, I receive a message saying 'Connected to 192.168.0.50'
      FTP Server Ready with a prompt for 'User'. I type 'Anonymous' once
      more and hit enter. I receive the message '331 Guest Login OK, send
      your complete email address as password'. I type in my email and get
      the same 530 error as above.

      I know that I should simply be allowed access straight into the shared
      folders but cannot get any further!!! - Please help.
    • burkhardkraemer
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006
        One question about your router configuration: is port-forwarding (20 &
        21) activated?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dave_gilfillan"

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2006

          In my router settings i have changed the firewall rules to allow FTP
          (TCP:20,21) on both outgoing and inbound services.

          On outgoing I allow any LAN or WAN users.

          On Incoming I have set it to forward to the LAN server to 198.168.0.50
          (my linkstation) This incoming setting I believe only applies to WAN
          connections?
        • dave_gilfillan
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 15, 2006
            So any ideas anyone?
          • paul_curran26
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2006
              <dave_gilfillan@...> wrote:

              > So any ideas anyone?

              Hi Dave,

              You need to reflash the 1.49 firmware (download from Buffalo FTP and
              follow instructions at http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?
              title=The_LinkStation_firmware_flasher). You'll need to run the
              FlashUpdate.exe file in Windows 2000 Compatiblity Mode (obviously!).

              Worked for me (after wasting the whole of Sunday!).