Disabling the fan on a Linkstation

  • TinyApps.Org
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
      Does anyone know how to disable/disconnect the Linkstation's fan and still
      have it boot properly? If there is no fan present, the Linkstation will
      flash the red Diag LED 4 times and then shut down. But I'd like to run it
      without the fan, leaving the case off for ventilation. Is there a some way
      to disable the fan check or fool the Linkstation into thinking the fan is
      working properly?
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
        Assuming that the fan's tach signal is open collector
        and it operates off of 5 volts then figure 14 here
        http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM555.html + a resistor
        and an NPN transistor would be all that would be
        needed. Something like a 2n3904 with a
        (5V-0.6)/(25E-3/100). 25 mA will put the transistor
        into saturation and Hfe is about 100 if I remember.
        This resistor would be about 15K in series with the
        output of the timer. The emitter would go to ground
        and the collecter would go to the tach signal. Values
        aren't critical.

        Pick R and C such that the frequency is 1 pulse per
        revolution for starters and/or check the data sheet
        for the fan.

        WHat needs to be verified: Fan 5V, Tach signal is open
        collector. If it's 12, change the 5 in the eqn. to
        12.

        --- "TinyApps.Org" <mail@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how to disable/disconnect the
        > Linkstation's fan and still
        > have it boot properly? If there is no fan present,
        > the Linkstation will
        > flash the red Diag LED 4 times and then shut down.
        > But I'd like to run it
        > without the fan, leaving the case off for
        > ventilation. Is there a some way
        > to disable the fan check or fool the Linkstation
        > into thinking the fan is
        > working properly?
        > --
        > archive at Nabble.com.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
          a question..which LS-model do you have?

          if you have openlink/freelink installed on your box you could install
          avr_evtd instead of ppc_uartd.

          ppc_uartd is the stock avr_evtd daemon and monitors the buttons, the
          fan and how full the hdd is.

          avr_evtd is the opensource variant and was created by lb_worm from
          www.linkstationwiki.net with the kuro_evtd-source as a base.

          with avr_evtd you can simply run the linkstation without a fan if you
          configure it that way.

          here is the link that might be interesting for you:
          http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=AVR_watch-dog_daemon_for_Linkstation

          look at the variable FANSTOP...it can be set to OFF.

          i am currently thinking of building my own case...and remove the small
          and noisy fan...

          mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.net

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
          <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

          > Assuming that the fan's tach signal is open collector
          > and it operates off of 5 volts then figure 14 here
          > http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM555.html + a resistor
          > and an NPN transistor would be all that would be
          > needed. Something like a 2n3904 with a
          > (5V-0.6)/(25E-3/100). 25 mA will put the transistor
          > into saturation and Hfe is about 100 if I remember.
          > This resistor would be about 15K in series with the
          > output of the timer. The emitter would go to ground
          > and the collecter would go to the tach signal. Values
          > aren't critical.
          >
          > Pick R and C such that the frequency is 1 pulse per
          > revolution for starters and/or check the data sheet
          > for the fan.
          >
          > WHat needs to be verified: Fan 5V, Tach signal is open
          > collector. If it's 12, change the 5 in the eqn. to
          > 12.
          >
          > --- "TinyApps.Org" <mail@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Does anyone know how to disable/disconnect the
          > > Linkstation's fan and still
          > > have it boot properly? If there is no fan present,
          > > the Linkstation will
          > > flash the red Diag LED 4 times and then shut down.
          > > But I'd like to run it
          > > without the fan, leaving the case off for
          > > ventilation. Is there a some way
          > > to disable the fan check or fool the Linkstation
          > > into thinking the fan is
          > > working properly?
          > > --
          > > archive at Nabble.com.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • tiny_apps_org
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
            Thank you, mindbender & KeepIt SimpleStupid! I'll try the
            openlink/freelink firmware and avr_evtd solution, but first I've got
            to get a fan connected, as the LS won't boot without one. Thanks again!