OpenLink + Long File Name on Mac

  • thecreakhead
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006

      I am totally new at this, but I upgraded my LS2 to use OpenLink the
      other day in hopes of getting my mac g4 laptop to be able to browse
      the linkstation files with long files names.

      I tried what is suggested at the wiki
      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles/Macintosh

      but when i try the "apt-get" command it doesn't have this. So has
      anyone been able to install netatalk on OpenLink, and are there easy
      to follow instructions?

      Also when I installed OpenLink I created a new user called Normal, but
      when I telnet in as Normal, this user doesn't have permissions to do
      anything. What do you suggest i give it, so I am not always using root.

      Thanks a ton,
      Aaron
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead" <thecreakhead@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am totally new at this, but I upgraded my LS2 to use OpenLink the
        > other day in hopes of getting my mac g4 laptop to be able to browse
        > the linkstation files with long files names.
        >
        > I tried what is suggested at the wiki
        > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles/Macintosh
        >
        > but when i try the "apt-get" command it doesn't have this. So has
        > anyone been able to install netatalk on OpenLink, and are there easy
        > to follow instructions?

        On OpenLink, you've got to compile netatalk yourself, as outlined in the article. You've got
        to install the dev-tools for your system first.

        > Also when I installed OpenLink I created a new user called Normal, but
        > when I telnet in as Normal, this user doesn't have permissions to do
        > anything. What do you suggest i give it, so I am not always using root.

        Well, nothing. That's the idea behind access privileges. Just open a second connection in a
        second terminal window.

        What's your exact problem? Is it you can't access files the LS is supposed to serve?

        -Andre
      • thecreakhead
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
          I have installed the dev-tools already, will have to try to compile netatalk then.  Thanks.

          As for the user privileges, nothing is broken.  I was just wondering as a "good use" type idea what privileges should be set for a user other then root. But I am guessing its different for everyone so this question my be voided.  When you telnet/ssh to your linkstation do you typically always use root?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10" <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead" thecreakhead@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am totally new at this, but I upgraded my LS2 to use OpenLink the
          > > other day in hopes of getting my mac g4 laptop to be able to browse
          > > the linkstation files with long files names.
          > >
          > > I tried what is suggested at the wiki
          > > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles/Macintosh
          > >
          > > but when i try the "apt-get" command it doesn't have this. So has
          > > anyone been able to install netatalk on OpenLink, and are there easy
          > > to follow instructions?
          >
          > On OpenLink, you've got to compile netatalk yourself, as outlined in the article. You've got
          > to install the dev-tools for your system first.
          >
          > > Also when I installed OpenLink I created a new user called Normal, but
          > > when I telnet in as Normal, this user doesn't have permissions to do
          > > anything. What do you suggest i give it, so I am not always using root.
          >
          > Well, nothing. That's the idea behind access privileges. Just open a second connection in a
          > second terminal window.
          >
          > What's your exact problem? Is it you can't access files the LS is supposed to serve?
          >
          > -Andre

        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead" <thecreakhead@...> wrote:

            > I have installed the dev-tools already, will have to try to compile
            > netatalk then. Thanks.

            Good luck!

            > As for the user privileges, nothing is broken. I was just wondering as
            > a "good use" type idea what privileges should be set for a user other
            > then root. But I am guessing its different for everyone so this question
            > my be voided. When you telnet/ssh to your linkstation do you typically
            > always use root?

            Basically every time I log in (via SSH only). Because I do it only when I want to change the
            configuration. If I just want to store files on it, I mount the shares in the Finder, or have
            iTunes do it for me.

            -Andre
          • thecreakhead
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2006
              Ok i need some more help. I have installed the BerklyDB and I think I
              complied Netatalk, but i must have missed something. Or I just don't
              know how to run netatalk. The steps I took where I ran configure on
              netatalk, then make install. What do i do next?

              Thanks
              Aaron

              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead"
              <thecreakhead@> wrote:

              > > I have installed the dev-tools already, will have to try to compile
              > > netatalk then. Thanks.
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > > As for the user privileges, nothing is broken. I was just
              wondering as
              > > a "good use" type idea what privileges should be set for a user other
              > > then root. But I am guessing its different for everyone so this
              question
              > > my be voided. When you telnet/ssh to your linkstation do you
              typically
              > > always use root?
              >
              > Basically every time I log in (via SSH only). Because I do it only
              when I want to change the
              > configuration. If I just want to store files on it, I mount the
              shares in the Finder, or have
              > iTunes do it for me.
              >
              > -Andre

            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead" <thecreakhead@...> wrote:

                > Ok i need some more help. I have installed the BerklyDB and I think I
                > complied Netatalk, but i must have missed something. Or I just don't
                > know how to run netatalk. The steps I took where I ran configure on
                > netatalk, then make install. What do i do next?

                Is it already running?

                ps auxw|grep afpd|grep -v grep

                If it is, and is already doing so after a reboot, configure netatalk as I suggested here:

                <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Macintosh_related_configuration%2C_netatalk%
                2C_mt-daapd#Debian_stable_binaries.2C_configuration_samples>

                -Andre
              • thecreakhead
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
                  I ran the command you gave me and it gave me this:
                  root@HIPPO:/# ps auxw|grep afpd|grep -v grep
                  root 280 0.0 2.0 7436 1296 ? S 12:01 0:00
                  /usr/sbin/afpd -c 1000 -n HIPPO

                  Is that good? I tried to follow the directions you suggested on the
                  webpage but i don't seem to find the same files as your example. The
                  only place i can find a directory of netatalk is where I extracted the
                  tar file to root@HIPPO:/usr/local/netatalk-2.0.3#

                  Thank for any info, I guess I might be over my head.
                  Thanks again,
                  Aaron

                  <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead"
                  <thecreakhead@> wrote:

                  > > Ok i need some more help. I have installed the BerklyDB and I think I
                  > > complied Netatalk, but i must have missed something. Or I just don't
                  > > know how to run netatalk. The steps I took where I ran configure on
                  > > netatalk, then make install. What do i do next?
                  >
                  > Is it already running?
                  >
                  > ps auxw|grep afpd|grep -v grep
                  >
                  > If it is, and is already doing so after a reboot, configure netatalk
                  as I suggested here:

                  <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Macintosh_related_configuration%2C_netatalk%
                  > 2C_mt-daapd#Debian_stable_binaries.2C_configuration_samples>
                  >
                  > -Andre

                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead" <thecreakhead@...> wrote:

                    > I ran the command you gave me and it gave me this:
                    > root@HIPPO:/# ps auxw|grep afpd|grep -v grep
                    > root 280 0.0 2.0 7436 1296 ? S 12:01 0:00
                    > /usr/sbin/afpd -c 1000 -n HIPPO

                    That's good, netatalk is on. Try and see what version is running, which will also answer
                    your question about the location of the configuration files:

                    afpd 2.0.3 - Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) daemon of Netatalk

                    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
                    the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
                    Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later
                    version. Please see the file COPYING for further information and details.

                    afpd has been compiled with support for these features:

                    AFP3.1 support: Yes
                    Transport layers: TCP/IP DDP
                    CNID backends: cdb dbd last

                    afpd.conf: /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf
                    AppleVolumes.system: /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.system
                    AppleVolumes.default: /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default
                    UAM search path: /usr/lib/netatalk/

                    -Andre

                    -Andre
                  • lalunas10
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thecreakhead" <thecreakhead@...> wrote:

                      > I ran the command you gave me and it gave me this:
                      > root@HIPPO:/# ps auxw|grep afpd|grep -v grep
                      > root 280 0.0 2.0 7436 1296 ? S 12:01 0:00
                      > /usr/sbin/afpd -c 1000 -n HIPPO

                      Sorry, cp&p wasn't precise enough:

                      # afpd -version

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 14, 2006
                        Thanks for the info I ran the version command and it turns out it was
                        an old version. :(
                        root@HIPPO:/# afpd -version
                        afpd (version 1.6.4)

                        I have an old version... I guess I have to try installing the new one
                        again.

                        Thanks
                        Aaron