Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: LS HD-H250LAN: External USB Drive Causing Networking Issues?

  • Guennadi Liakhovetski
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
      On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, dj_smith_jr wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
      > <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:
      > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
      > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot access
      > > the data.
      >
      > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
      > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
      > data normally.

      Look in "dmesg" output on your LS - if there're any USB error messages
      there.

      Thanks
      Guennadi
      ---
      Guennadi Liakhovetski
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
        > > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
        > > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot
        access
        > > > the data.
        > >
        > > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
        > > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
        > > data normally.

        i assume you are running a telnet enabled firmware (maybe openlink)
        please post the output of

        df
        ls -al /mnt2/ -> if you have a LS1
        ls -al /mnt/ -> if you have a LS2

        maybe try a

        chmod 777 /mnt2/usbdisk1 -> LS1
        chmod 777 /mnt/usbdisk1 -> LS2

        tell us which box you have for further analysis.

        mindbender
        www.linkstationwiki.net
      • tradedmanatee
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
          <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
          > <dj_smith_jr@> wrote:
          > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
          > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot
          access
          > > the data.
          >
          > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
          > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
          > data normally.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!
          >
          > Regards,
          > DS.

          This may be related to the linux kernel and ext2 file system versions
          that the Linkstation uses. It tends to get a tad shirty with files
          bigger that 2GB.

          I have a similar set up, with a Maxtor One Touch drive. If I try to
          copy a file larger than 2GB to the usb drive it truncates the file and
          I have to reboot the LS.

          Maybe someone with a little more kernel level know-how can suggest a
          workaround???

          Peter