Re: [LinkStation_General] LS HD-H250LAN: External USB Drive Causing Networking Issues?

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006

      > "Cannot copy <filename>: The specified network name
      > is no longer
      > available".

      This may or may not help. I had troubles once trying
      to install HP's software on a PC. I got a cryptic
      error message but nothing resembling the fact that the
      file path name was too long. Ran the setup program
      from C and it installed fine. Desktop - No go. Could
      this sort of thing be happening to you?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • dj_smith_jr
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
        <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:
        > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
        > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot access
        > the data.

        Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
        not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
        data normally.

        Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

        Regards,
        DS.
      • Guennadi Liakhovetski
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
          On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, dj_smith_jr wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
          > <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:
          > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
          > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot access
          > > the data.
          >
          > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
          > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
          > data normally.

          Look in "dmesg" output on your LS - if there're any USB error messages
          there.

          Thanks
          Guennadi
          ---
          Guennadi Liakhovetski
        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
            > > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
            > > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot
            access
            > > > the data.
            > >
            > > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
            > > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
            > > data normally.

            i assume you are running a telnet enabled firmware (maybe openlink)
            please post the output of

            df
            ls -al /mnt2/ -> if you have a LS1
            ls -al /mnt/ -> if you have a LS2

            maybe try a

            chmod 777 /mnt2/usbdisk1 -> LS1
            chmod 777 /mnt/usbdisk1 -> LS2

            tell us which box you have for further analysis.

            mindbender
            www.linkstationwiki.net
          • tradedmanatee
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
              <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
              > <dj_smith_jr@> wrote:
              > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
              > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot
              access
              > > the data.
              >
              > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
              > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
              > data normally.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!
              >
              > Regards,
              > DS.

              This may be related to the linux kernel and ext2 file system versions
              that the Linkstation uses. It tends to get a tad shirty with files
              bigger that 2GB.

              I have a similar set up, with a Maxtor One Touch drive. If I try to
              copy a file larger than 2GB to the usb drive it truncates the file and
              I have to reboot the LS.

              Maybe someone with a little more kernel level know-how can suggest a
              workaround???

              Peter