LS HD-H250LAN: External USB Drive Causing Networking Issues?

  • dj_smith_jr
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006
      Folks,

      I have a LinkStation HD-H250LAN box that has worked flawlessly for
      months. When I filled up the disk, I decided to add an external USB
      drive to extend the capacity of the box.

      I plugged a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 320GB USB 2.0 disk into the
      back connector, formatted and shared it as necessary.

      When I try copying large (> GB) files from the LS to the USB drive,
      after awhile, I get the wonderfully helpful message:

      "Cannot copy <filename>: The specified network name is no longer
      available".

      After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
      share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot access
      the data.

      I spoke with the BT support guys and they mentioned that it could be
      related to my local firewall SW, Zone Alarm Security Suite. I didn't
      buy this too much, since I had been using the LS and ZASS successfully
      for quite awhile.

      I turned off ZASS and was able to successfully use the LS/USB drive
      for about 12 hours without problems, but have encountered the same
      issues since (without the FW SW running).

      Has anyone seen issues such as this? Any ideas for a solution?

      Regards,
      DS.
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2006

        > "Cannot copy <filename>: The specified network name
        > is no longer
        > available".

        This may or may not help. I had troubles once trying
        to install HP's software on a PC. I got a cryptic
        error message but nothing resembling the fact that the
        file path name was too long. Ran the setup program
        from C and it installed fine. Desktop - No go. Could
        this sort of thing be happening to you?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • dj_smith_jr
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
          <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:
          > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
          > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot access
          > the data.

          Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
          not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
          data normally.

          Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

          Regards,
          DS.
        • Guennadi Liakhovetski
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2006
            On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, dj_smith_jr wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
            > <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:
            > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
            > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot access
            > > the data.
            >
            > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
            > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
            > data normally.

            Look in "dmesg" output on your LS - if there're any USB error messages
            there.

            Thanks
            Guennadi
            ---
            Guennadi Liakhovetski
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2006
              > > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
              > > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot
              access
              > > > the data.
              > >
              > > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
              > > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
              > > data normally.

              i assume you are running a telnet enabled firmware (maybe openlink)
              please post the output of

              df
              ls -al /mnt2/ -> if you have a LS1
              ls -al /mnt/ -> if you have a LS2

              maybe try a

              chmod 777 /mnt2/usbdisk1 -> LS1
              chmod 777 /mnt/usbdisk1 -> LS2

              tell us which box you have for further analysis.

              mindbender
              www.linkstationwiki.net
            • tradedmanatee
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2006
                <dj_smith_jr@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dj_smith_jr"
                > <dj_smith_jr@> wrote:
                > > After this I cannot connect the "usbdisk1" share at all, and the LS
                > > share acts funny as well -- I can browse the files, but cannot
                access
                > > the data.
                >
                > Turns out that this statement is incorrect. The "usbdisk1" share does
                > not connect, but the LS share seems to be fine -- I can access the
                > data normally.
                >
                > Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!
                >
                > Regards,
                > DS.

                This may be related to the linux kernel and ext2 file system versions
                that the Linkstation uses. It tends to get a tad shirty with files
                bigger that 2GB.

                I have a similar set up, with a Maxtor One Touch drive. If I try to
                copy a file larger than 2GB to the usb drive it truncates the file and
                I have to reboot the LS.

                Maybe someone with a little more kernel level know-how can suggest a
                workaround???

                Peter