Re: Problem with WORKGROUP share from Domain-authenticated machine

  • ummmmm22
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
      Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that before, but it was
      worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same "The network path
      \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where I did put in the
      real IP address and share name.) Oh well.

      Of course I can use anonymous FTP if I just want to access one
      "public" share, but not for the authenticated ones or for more than
      one at a time :-(.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
      <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

      > Had someone at work which was a member of a domain and
      > wanted to access a workgroup share that wasn't part of
      > the domain on a PC, so I told him to use Explorer, Map
      > network drive, \\<ipaddress>\<share> and it worked
      > fine.
      >
      > You must know the share name.
      >
      > --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:
      >
      > > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP"
      > > workgroup, and my two
      > > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
      > >
      > > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain,
      > > cannot even see
      > > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP
      > > address, but I cannot
      > > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address>
      > > results in a "The
      > > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61
      > > firmware.
      > >
      > > Any ideas?
      > > Doug
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
        --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that
        > before, but it was
        > worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same
        > "The network path
        > \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where
        > I did put in the
        > real IP address and share name.) Oh well.

        Does your share name have space in it? Share may be
        case sensitive as well. e.g. \\192.168.1.1\"My Share"

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ummmmm22
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
          <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

          > --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that
          > > before, but it was
          > > worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same
          > > "The network path
          > > \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where
          > > I did put in the
          > > real IP address and share name.) Oh well.
          > >

          > Does your share name have space in it? Share may be
          > case sensitive as well. e.g. \\192.168.1.1\"My Share"

          No space, tried the possible capitalizations. Thanks for the
          suggestions, though. Might try mapping a "drive" over FTP if I have to.

          Doug
        • ummmmm22
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@...>
            wrote:

            > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
            > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
            >
            > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
            > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
            > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
            > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            > Doug

            For posterity, I figured out what the problem was here. It was my
            ZoneAlarm firewall. It did not have the IP address of the LinkStation
            or subnet of my home network in its "Trusted Zone". It took reloading
            another machine, which worked at first then quit working after some
            installs, for me to realize this.

            Doug