Re: Problem with WORKGROUP share from Domain-authenticated machine

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
      well...same answer as to the one guy before....

      for debugging you need telnet access.

      get me a firmware from the english support and i will create one.

      mindbender
      www.linkstationwiki.net

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@...>
      wrote:

      > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
      > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
      >
      > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
      > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
      > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
      > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      > Doug

    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
        wrote:

        > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
        > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
        >
        > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
        > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
        > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
        > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        > Doug

        Yeah. The computer is attempting to use your domain credentials to
        authenticate with the Linkstation. You need to get permission by
        your network admin to use a local administrative username and password.

        What I mean is, you have your normal domain username/password for
        that computer, but the Windows OS has a local admin user/pass that
        you may or may not know and that will be the only thing to get you
        past the user/pass request.

        I must stress, do not change your computers domain/workgroup
        settings, or fear the wrath of some upset IT people.
        :-)

        -goat
      • ummmmm22
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
          <musikgoat@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
          > > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
          > >
          > > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
          > > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
          > > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
          > > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > > Doug
          > >

          > Yeah. The computer is attempting to use your domain credentials to
          > authenticate with the Linkstation. You need to get permission by
          > your network admin to use a local administrative username and
          password.

          > What I mean is, you have your normal domain username/password for
          > that computer, but the Windows OS has a local admin user/pass that
          > you may or may not know and that will be the only thing to get you
          > past the user/pass request.
          >
          > I must stress, do not change your computers domain/workgroup
          > settings, or fear the wrath of some upset IT people.
          > :-)
          >

          > -goat

          No, I know better than to remove my work machine from its domain :-)

          But, yes, I do have a local account on the work system that has
          administrative privileges. Are you saying that I have to be logged on
          to that local account, rather than my domain account, for there to be
          any chance of this working? I'll forget it if that's the case. Don't
          want to recreate all my settings under a different user.

          I guess I didn't try attaching a network drive with the "use a
          different user" input fields, but it didn't look like an
          authentication error. I saw a different error when that was the case
          for my "WORKGROUP" machines. This error acts like the service isn't
          even reachable.

          Doug
        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
            wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
            > <musikgoat@> wrote:
            >>
            >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
            >> wrote:
            >>>
            >>> My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
            >>> home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
            >>>
            >>> My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
            >>> the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
            >>> access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
            >>> network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
            >>>
            >>> Any ideas?
            >>> Doug
            >>>

            >> Yeah. The computer is attempting to use your domain credentials to
            >> authenticate with the Linkstation. You need to get permission by
            >> your network admin to use a local administrative username and
            > password.
            >>
            >> What I mean is, you have your normal domain username/password for
            >> that computer, but the Windows OS has a local admin user/pass that
            >> you may or may not know and that will be the only thing to get you
            >> past the user/pass request.
            >>
            >> I must stress, do not change your computers domain/workgroup
            >> settings, or fear the wrath of some upset IT people.
            >> :-)
            > >

            > > -goat
            > >

            > No, I know better than to remove my work machine from its domain :-)
            >
            > But, yes, I do have a local account on the work system that has
            > administrative privileges. Are you saying that I have to be logged on
            > to that local account, rather than my domain account, for there to be
            > any chance of this working? I'll forget it if that's the case. Don't
            > want to recreate all my settings under a different user.
            >
            > I guess I didn't try attaching a network drive with the "use a
            > different user" input fields, but it didn't look like an
            > authentication error. I saw a different error when that was the case
            > for my "WORKGROUP" machines. This error acts like the service isn't
            > even reachable.
            >
            > Doug

            I would agree, I apologize for not seeing that error. That could be
            network connection issues. i.e. connected to a VPN giving you a
            different IP address, or domain restrictions, not allowing out of
            domain communication, i wouldn't know how to troubleshoot that.

            I would see if there are any recommendations by your IT dept, but as
            an alternative, you could use the FTP portion of the linkstation, its
            acually quite speedy, and you don't have to worry as much about the
            lack of security of ftp on your internal network.
          • KeepIt SimpleStupid
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
              Had someone at work which was a member of a domain and
              wanted to access a workgroup share that wasn't part of
              the domain on a PC, so I told him to use Explorer, Map
              network drive, \\<ipaddress>\<share> and it worked
              fine.

              You must know the share name.

              --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:

              > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP"
              > workgroup, and my two
              > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
              >
              > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain,
              > cannot even see
              > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP
              > address, but I cannot
              > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address>
              > results in a "The
              > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61
              > firmware.
              >
              > Any ideas?
              > Doug

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • ummmmm22
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
                Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that before, but it was
                worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same "The network path
                \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where I did put in the
                real IP address and share name.) Oh well.

                Of course I can use anonymous FTP if I just want to access one
                "public" share, but not for the authenticated ones or for more than
                one at a time :-(.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                > Had someone at work which was a member of a domain and
                > wanted to access a workgroup share that wasn't part of
                > the domain on a PC, so I told him to use Explorer, Map
                > network drive, \\<ipaddress>\<share> and it worked
                > fine.
                >
                > You must know the share name.
                >
                > --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:
                >
                > > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP"
                > > workgroup, and my two
                > > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
                > >
                > > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain,
                > > cannot even see
                > > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP
                > > address, but I cannot
                > > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address>
                > > results in a "The
                > > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61
                > > firmware.
                > >
                > > Any ideas?
                > > Doug
              • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
                  --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that
                  > before, but it was
                  > worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same
                  > "The network path
                  > \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where
                  > I did put in the
                  > real IP address and share name.) Oh well.

                  Does your share name have space in it? Share may be
                  case sensitive as well. e.g. \\192.168.1.1\"My Share"

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • ummmmm22
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
                    <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                    > --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that
                    > > before, but it was
                    > > worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same
                    > > "The network path
                    > > \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where
                    > > I did put in the
                    > > real IP address and share name.) Oh well.
                    > >

                    > Does your share name have space in it? Share may be
                    > case sensitive as well. e.g. \\192.168.1.1\"My Share"

                    No space, tried the possible capitalizations. Thanks for the
                    suggestions, though. Might try mapping a "drive" over FTP if I have to.

                    Doug
                  • ummmmm22
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
                      > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
                      >
                      > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
                      > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
                      > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
                      > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
                      >
                      > Any ideas?
                      > Doug

                      For posterity, I figured out what the problem was here. It was my
                      ZoneAlarm firewall. It did not have the IP address of the LinkStation
                      or subnet of my home network in its "Trusted Zone". It took reloading
                      another machine, which worked at first then quit working after some
                      installs, for me to realize this.

                      Doug