Problem with WORKGROUP share from Domain-authenticated machine

  • ummmmm22
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2006
      My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
      home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.

      My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
      the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
      access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
      network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.

      Any ideas?
      Doug
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
        well...same answer as to the one guy before....

        for debugging you need telnet access.

        get me a firmware from the english support and i will create one.

        mindbender
        www.linkstationwiki.net

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@...>
        wrote:

        > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
        > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
        >
        > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
        > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
        > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
        > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        > Doug

      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
          wrote:

          > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
          > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
          >
          > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
          > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
          > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
          > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          > Doug

          Yeah. The computer is attempting to use your domain credentials to
          authenticate with the Linkstation. You need to get permission by
          your network admin to use a local administrative username and password.

          What I mean is, you have your normal domain username/password for
          that computer, but the Windows OS has a local admin user/pass that
          you may or may not know and that will be the only thing to get you
          past the user/pass request.

          I must stress, do not change your computers domain/workgroup
          settings, or fear the wrath of some upset IT people.
          :-)

          -goat
        • ummmmm22
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
            <musikgoat@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
            > > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
            > >
            > > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
            > > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
            > > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
            > > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > > Doug
            > >

            > Yeah. The computer is attempting to use your domain credentials to
            > authenticate with the Linkstation. You need to get permission by
            > your network admin to use a local administrative username and
            password.

            > What I mean is, you have your normal domain username/password for
            > that computer, but the Windows OS has a local admin user/pass that
            > you may or may not know and that will be the only thing to get you
            > past the user/pass request.
            >
            > I must stress, do not change your computers domain/workgroup
            > settings, or fear the wrath of some upset IT people.
            > :-)
            >

            > -goat

            No, I know better than to remove my work machine from its domain :-)

            But, yes, I do have a local account on the work system that has
            administrative privileges. Are you saying that I have to be logged on
            to that local account, rather than my domain account, for there to be
            any chance of this working? I'll forget it if that's the case. Don't
            want to recreate all my settings under a different user.

            I guess I didn't try attaching a network drive with the "use a
            different user" input fields, but it didn't look like an
            authentication error. I saw a different error when that was the case
            for my "WORKGROUP" machines. This error acts like the service isn't
            even reachable.

            Doug
          • musikgoat
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
              wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
              > <musikgoat@> wrote:
              >>
              >> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
              >> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
              >>> home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
              >>>
              >>> My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
              >>> the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
              >>> access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
              >>> network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
              >>>
              >>> Any ideas?
              >>> Doug
              >>>

              >> Yeah. The computer is attempting to use your domain credentials to
              >> authenticate with the Linkstation. You need to get permission by
              >> your network admin to use a local administrative username and
              > password.
              >>
              >> What I mean is, you have your normal domain username/password for
              >> that computer, but the Windows OS has a local admin user/pass that
              >> you may or may not know and that will be the only thing to get you
              >> past the user/pass request.
              >>
              >> I must stress, do not change your computers domain/workgroup
              >> settings, or fear the wrath of some upset IT people.
              >> :-)
              > >

              > > -goat
              > >

              > No, I know better than to remove my work machine from its domain :-)
              >
              > But, yes, I do have a local account on the work system that has
              > administrative privileges. Are you saying that I have to be logged on
              > to that local account, rather than my domain account, for there to be
              > any chance of this working? I'll forget it if that's the case. Don't
              > want to recreate all my settings under a different user.
              >
              > I guess I didn't try attaching a network drive with the "use a
              > different user" input fields, but it didn't look like an
              > authentication error. I saw a different error when that was the case
              > for my "WORKGROUP" machines. This error acts like the service isn't
              > even reachable.
              >
              > Doug

              I would agree, I apologize for not seeing that error. That could be
              network connection issues. i.e. connected to a VPN giving you a
              different IP address, or domain restrictions, not allowing out of
              domain communication, i wouldn't know how to troubleshoot that.

              I would see if there are any recommendations by your IT dept, but as
              an alternative, you could use the FTP portion of the linkstation, its
              acually quite speedy, and you don't have to worry as much about the
              lack of security of ftp on your internal network.
            • KeepIt SimpleStupid
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
                Had someone at work which was a member of a domain and
                wanted to access a workgroup share that wasn't part of
                the domain on a PC, so I told him to use Explorer, Map
                network drive, \\<ipaddress>\<share> and it worked
                fine.

                You must know the share name.

                --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:

                > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP"
                > workgroup, and my two
                > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
                >
                > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain,
                > cannot even see
                > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP
                > address, but I cannot
                > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address>
                > results in a "The
                > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61
                > firmware.
                >
                > Any ideas?
                > Doug

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • ummmmm22
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 29, 2006
                  Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that before, but it was
                  worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same "The network path
                  \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where I did put in the
                  real IP address and share name.) Oh well.

                  Of course I can use anonymous FTP if I just want to access one
                  "public" share, but not for the authenticated ones or for more than
                  one at a time :-(.

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                  <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                  > Had someone at work which was a member of a domain and
                  > wanted to access a workgroup share that wasn't part of
                  > the domain on a PC, so I told him to use Explorer, Map
                  > network drive, \\<ipaddress>\<share> and it worked
                  > fine.
                  >
                  > You must know the share name.
                  >
                  > --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP"
                  > > workgroup, and my two
                  > > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
                  > >
                  > > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain,
                  > > cannot even see
                  > > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP
                  > > address, but I cannot
                  > > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address>
                  > > results in a "The
                  > > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61
                  > > firmware.
                  > >
                  > > Any ideas?
                  > > Doug
                • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2006
                    --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that
                    > before, but it was
                    > worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same
                    > "The network path
                    > \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where
                    > I did put in the
                    > real IP address and share name.) Oh well.

                    Does your share name have space in it? Share may be
                    case sensitive as well. e.g. \\192.168.1.1\"My Share"

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • ummmmm22
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
                      <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

                      > --- ummmmm22 <ummmmm-22@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thanks for the idea. I thought I had tried that
                      > > before, but it was
                      > > worth another try. Unfortunately, no worky. Same
                      > > "The network path
                      > > \\<ip address>\<share> could not be found." (Where
                      > > I did put in the
                      > > real IP address and share name.) Oh well.
                      > >

                      > Does your share name have space in it? Share may be
                      > case sensitive as well. e.g. \\192.168.1.1\"My Share"

                      No space, tried the possible capitalizations. Thanks for the
                      suggestions, though. Might try mapping a "drive" over FTP if I have to.

                      Doug
                    • ummmmm22
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2006
                        wrote:

                        > My HD-HG300 is configured in the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and my two
                        > home PCs in the same workgroup find it there fine.
                        >
                        > My work machine, though, which is part of a Domain, cannot even see
                        > the LinkStation shares. I can ping it by its IP address, but I cannot
                        > access it via Explorer. Trying \\<ip address> results in a "The
                        > network path was not found" dialog. Stock 1.61 firmware.
                        >
                        > Any ideas?
                        > Doug

                        For posterity, I figured out what the problem was here. It was my
                        ZoneAlarm firewall. It did not have the IP address of the LinkStation
                        or subnet of my home network in its "Trusted Zone". It took reloading
                        another machine, which worked at first then quit working after some
                        installs, for me to realize this.

                        Doug