Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Browsing to play MP3 files (extreme newbie)

  • Tony Morehen
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 27 12:12 PM
      Don't get me wrong I love my Tivo. I've upgraded the hard drive to
      300GB or 348 hours recording capacity. And the hard drive noise is not
      an issue -- the Tivo is in another room.

      The noise I was talking about is in the Tivo audio signal. It has, in
      my opinion, a poor signal to noise ratio. Admittedly, this noise is not
      noticeable at normal TV listening levels and is usually masked by the
      audio signal. However, I tend to listen to music at higher volume
      levels and so the Tivo's background hiss becomes noticeable. BTW it's
      not 60 cycle hum, but rather white noise hiss. Now this may be a
      function of my set up but the hiss is not there for any of my other
      components.

      mike redman wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Interesting response.
      > I have a Humax which has the usual hard drive hum. The
      > noise levels can be reduced substantially with little
      > effort. In my case I use a large thick peice of MDF under
      > the box. This transmits vibrations without generating
      > sound, then a layer of bubble wrap, another peice of MDF
      > which sits on a wooden shelf. The many changes in material
      > between the Humax box and the wooden furniture shelf
      > reduces any noise generation to reasonably acceptable
      > levels.
      >
      > M.
      > --- Tony Morehen <tmorehen@shaw. ca <mailto:tmorehen%40shaw.ca>> wrote:
      >
      > > The audiotron works very well. It's big advantage is that
      > > all it needs
      > > is a Windows-compatible share. It works with the
      > > Linkstation out of the
      > > box.
      > >
      > > It does have some drawbacks:
      > > 1) It is no longer supported.
      > > 2) It has a mediocre DAC. However, it has digital audio
      > > out (coaxial)
      > > so if your amp has digital audio inputs, that would work
      > > out OK.
      > > 3) It does not have a video interface so you can't use
      > > your TV to see or
      > > control what is playing. However, it does have a good
      > > remote and the
      > > display on the audiotron itself works well. There is
      > > also a web-based
      > > interface and several third party interfaces that control
      > > the audiotron
      > > over the internet.
      > >
      > > Unless you already own aTivo, I wouldn't use it as an
      > > interface. My
      > > Humax unit has a high noise level.
      > >
      > > I have no experience with other players, but there are a
      > > number that
      > > have linux-based servers that should work. I have no
      > > experience with
      > > them so I can't comment on their sutability.
      > >
      > > Installing the open firmware should not affect anything
      > > that is on your
      > > shared drives. There is some risk but I've done some
      > > stupid things and
      > > have always been able to recover without significant data
      > > loss.
      > > Although there was the time I did an rm -r /mnt. Ouch.
      > > I had to kill
      > > the rm process but I still lost some data. But that was
      > > my mistake, not
      > > that of the open firmware.
      > >
      > > Ant Jones wrote:
      > > > Hi Tony
      > > >
      > > > Thanks, I'll have a look for the Turtle.
      > > >
      > > > If you were in my postition, what player would you buy?
      > > >
      > > > If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking
      > > about "if"!?)
      > > > will that enable it to stream to any player?
      > > > And would it erase all of my data?
      > > >
      > > > Isn't it an arse that people have to write & mess with
> [...]
    • mike redman
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 27 12:23 PM
        I see! My Humax is connected via the optical connector so
        it's quiet.
        M.

        === message truncated ===
      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 29 9:30 AM
          <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

          > Hi All
          >
          > I am looking to use my Linkstation 250 as an mp3 server but would like
          > to avoid hacking it.
          > I have the NAS connected to a wireless router and would like to
          > connect a wireless mp3 player to my stereo.
          >
          > Does anyone know whether there is a player which could see the NAS
          > (via WPA) and let me browse folders and then play the contents?
          >
          > I know this is a rougher way to behave rather than having the process
          > run on the NAS but I'm lazy. And cowardly.
          >
          > Phillips has the SLA5520 music receiver - would this work?
          >
          > Apologies for being such an extreme newbie - I'm making up for it by
          > being helpful about the iRiver H10 & American comedians elsewhere on
          > the web...
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Tony

          Not too sure about your endevor, although it seems easy.

          Have you looked into a sonos system, they work with the linkstation
          quite nicely and have great sound.

          http://www.sonos.com/products/?tref=ghome