Re: Browsing to play MP3 files (A&G solution)

  • ant_in_wales
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
      I see that Buffalo is launching a new media player - the A&G - which
      should work without any other kit because there is PCast on my
      Linkstation.
      Not available in the UK yet (or on American Amazon).
      Anyone seen it or have an opinion?
      Tony
      "I've started smoking now that I'm a parent. Those things are supposed
      to kill you but they're taking their time..."

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mike redman

      <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/nowyoucan/reading_pane/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40565/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>.

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
        Thanks Andre, and to everyone else in the group who helped.
        Looks like either a deep delve into Linkstationwiki, or wait to see
        whether the new Linktheater is what I need...

        Tony

        <lalunas10@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ant Jones
        <ant_in_wales@> wrote:
        > > If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking about
        "if"!?) will that enable it to stream
        > to any player?
        >
        > To any player? Probably not. But chances are you'll find the right
        media server for your player
        > here:
        >
        > <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles#Server_and_Media>
        >
        > > And would it erase all of my data?
        >
        > No. The custom firmwares reside on /dev/hda1 (partition 1 on the
        hard disk), the data on /
        > dev/hda3. A restorable backup is as usual recommended.
        >
        > -Andre

      • Tony Morehen
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
          Don't get me wrong I love my Tivo. I've upgraded the hard drive to
          300GB or 348 hours recording capacity. And the hard drive noise is not
          an issue -- the Tivo is in another room.

          The noise I was talking about is in the Tivo audio signal. It has, in
          my opinion, a poor signal to noise ratio. Admittedly, this noise is not
          noticeable at normal TV listening levels and is usually masked by the
          audio signal. However, I tend to listen to music at higher volume
          levels and so the Tivo's background hiss becomes noticeable. BTW it's
          not 60 cycle hum, but rather white noise hiss. Now this may be a
          function of my set up but the hiss is not there for any of my other
          components.

          mike redman wrote:

> [...]
          > > that is on your
          > > shared drives. There is some risk but I've done some
          > > stupid things and
          > > have always been able to recover without significant data
          > > loss.
          > > Although there was the time I did an rm -r /mnt. Ouch.
          > > I had to kill
          > > the rm process but I still lost some data. But that was
          > > my mistake, not
          > > that of the open firmware.
          > >
          > > Ant Jones wrote:
          > > > Hi Tony
          > > >
          > > > Thanks, I'll have a look for the Turtle.
          > > >
          > > > If you were in my postition, what player would you buy?
          > > >
          > > > If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking
          > > about "if"!?)
          > > > will that enable it to stream to any player?
          > > > And would it erase all of my data?
          > > >
          > > > Isn't it an arse that people have to write & mess with

        • mike redman
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
            I see! My Humax is connected via the optical connector so
            it's quiet.

            === message truncated ===
          • musikgoat
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 29, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ant_in_wales"
              <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

              > Hi All
              >
              > I am looking to use my Linkstation 250 as an mp3 server but would like
              > to avoid hacking it.
              > I have the NAS connected to a wireless router and would like to
              > connect a wireless mp3 player to my stereo.
              >
              > Does anyone know whether there is a player which could see the NAS
              > (via WPA) and let me browse folders and then play the contents?
              >
              > I know this is a rougher way to behave rather than having the process
              > run on the NAS but I'm lazy. And cowardly.
              >
              > Phillips has the SLA5520 music receiver - would this work?
              >
              > Apologies for being such an extreme newbie - I'm making up for it by
              > being helpful about the iRiver H10 & American comedians elsewhere on
              > the web...
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Tony

              Not too sure about your endevor, although it seems easy.

              Have you looked into a sonos system, they work with the linkstation
              quite nicely and have great sound.

              http://www.sonos.com/products/?tref=ghome