Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Browsing to play MP3 files (extreme newbie)

  • Tony Morehen
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 26, 2006
      The audiotron works very well. It's big advantage is that all it needs
      is a Windows-compatible share. It works with the Linkstation out of the
      box.

      It does have some drawbacks:
      1) It is no longer supported.
      2) It has a mediocre DAC. However, it has digital audio out (coaxial)
      so if your amp has digital audio inputs, that would work out OK.
      3) It does not have a video interface so you can't use your TV to see or
      control what is playing. However, it does have a good remote and the
      display on the audiotron itself works well. There is also a web-based
      interface and several third party interfaces that control the audiotron
      over the internet.

      Unless you already own aTivo, I wouldn't use it as an interface. My
      Humax unit has a high noise level.

      I have no experience with other players, but there are a number that
      have linux-based servers that should work. I have no experience with
      them so I can't comment on their sutability.

      Installing the open firmware should not affect anything that is on your
      shared drives. There is some risk but I've done some stupid things and
      have always been able to recover without significant data loss.
      Although there was the time I did an rm -r /mnt. Ouch. I had to kill
      the rm process but I still lost some data. But that was my mistake, not
      that of the open firmware.

    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 26, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ant Jones <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:
        > If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking about "if"!?) will that enable it to stream
        to any player?

        To any player? Probably not. But chances are you'll find the right media server for your player
        here:

        <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles#Server_and_Media>

        > And would it erase all of my data?

        No. The custom firmwares reside on /dev/hda1 (partition 1 on the hard disk), the data on /
        dev/hda3. A restorable backup is as usual recommended.

        -Andre
      • mike redman
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
          Hi,
          Interesting response.
          I have a Humax which has the usual hard drive hum. The
          noise levels can be reduced substantially with little
          effort. In my case I use a large thick peice of MDF under
          the box. This transmits vibrations without generating
          sound, then a layer of bubble wrap, another peice of MDF
          which sits on a wooden shelf. The many changes in material
          between the Humax box and the wooden furniture shelf
          reduces any noise generation to reasonably acceptable
          levels.

          M.

        • ant_in_wales
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
            I see that Buffalo is launching a new media player - the A&G - which
            should work without any other kit because there is PCast on my
            Linkstation.
            Not available in the UK yet (or on American Amazon).
            Anyone seen it or have an opinion?
            Tony
            "I've started smoking now that I'm a parent. Those things are supposed
            to kill you but they're taking their time..."

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mike redman

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
              Thanks Andre, and to everyone else in the group who helped.
              Looks like either a deep delve into Linkstationwiki, or wait to see
              whether the new Linktheater is what I need...

              Tony

              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ant Jones
              <ant_in_wales@> wrote:
              > > If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking about
              "if"!?) will that enable it to stream
              > to any player?
              >
              > To any player? Probably not. But chances are you'll find the right
              media server for your player
              > here:
              >
              > <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles#Server_and_Media>
              >
              > > And would it erase all of my data?
              >
              > No. The custom firmwares reside on /dev/hda1 (partition 1 on the
              hard disk), the data on /
              > dev/hda3. A restorable backup is as usual recommended.
              >
              > -Andre

            • Tony Morehen
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                Don't get me wrong I love my Tivo. I've upgraded the hard drive to
                300GB or 348 hours recording capacity. And the hard drive noise is not
                an issue -- the Tivo is in another room.

                The noise I was talking about is in the Tivo audio signal. It has, in
                my opinion, a poor signal to noise ratio. Admittedly, this noise is not
                noticeable at normal TV listening levels and is usually masked by the
                audio signal. However, I tend to listen to music at higher volume
                levels and so the Tivo's background hiss becomes noticeable. BTW it's
                not 60 cycle hum, but rather white noise hiss. Now this may be a
                function of my set up but the hiss is not there for any of my other
                components.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                  Hi,
                  I see! My Humax is connected via the optical connector so
                  it's quiet.

                  === message truncated ===
                • musikgoat
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 29, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ant_in_wales"
                    <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

                    > Hi All
                    >
                    > I am looking to use my Linkstation 250 as an mp3 server but would like
                    > to avoid hacking it.
                    > I have the NAS connected to a wireless router and would like to
                    > connect a wireless mp3 player to my stereo.
                    >
                    > Does anyone know whether there is a player which could see the NAS
                    > (via WPA) and let me browse folders and then play the contents?
                    >
                    > I know this is a rougher way to behave rather than having the process
                    > run on the NAS but I'm lazy. And cowardly.
                    >
                    > Phillips has the SLA5520 music receiver - would this work?
                    >
                    > Apologies for being such an extreme newbie - I'm making up for it by
                    > being helpful about the iRiver H10 & American comedians elsewhere on
                    > the web...
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Tony

                    Not too sure about your endevor, although it seems easy.

                    Have you looked into a sonos system, they work with the linkstation
                    quite nicely and have great sound.

                    http://www.sonos.com/products/?tref=ghome