Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Browsing to play MP3 files (extreme newbie)

  • Tony Morehen
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 26, 2006
      The one that I know of and use is the Turtlebeach Audiotron. It
      accesses my Lan server over a wired network and plays my MP3 files. It
      also accesses streaming audio from the internet.

      Unfortunately, it is out of production but you may be able to find one
      on eBay.

      You should consider hacking your Linkstation, which will open up a wide
      range of media servers. For example, I can serve audio using my Tivo.
      The process is relatively risk free.

      cherrytreeproduction wrote:

      > you would need a player that has support for wireless & can access
      > normal windows shares (aka samba shares).
      >
      > i do not know of any. maybe the pinnacle showcenter is able to do
      > this, but it is a videoplayer as well.
      >
      > there is a different option also...the buffalo linktheater...the
      > serversoftware is built-in the original firmwares.
      >
      > -- mindbender
      > www.linkstationwiki.net
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>, "ant_in_wales"
      > <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All
      > >
      > > I am looking to use my Linkstation 250 as an mp3 server but would like
      > > to avoid hacking it.
      > > I have the NAS connected to a wireless router and would like to
      > > connect a wireless mp3 player to my stereo.
      > >
      > > Does anyone know whether there is a player which could see the NAS
      > > (via WPA) and let me browse folders and then play the contents?
      > >
      > > I know this is a rougher way to behave rather than having the process
      > > run on the NAS but I'm lazy. And cowardly.
      > >
      > > Phillips has the SLA5520 music receiver - would this work?
      > >
      > > Apologies for being such an extreme newbie - I'm making up for it by
      > > being helpful about the iRiver H10 & American comedians elsewhere on
      > > the web...
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > Tony

    • mike redman
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 26, 2006
        slimserver might be able to do what you want. It runs from
        a device called a squeezebox, but there is a version that
        runs from software on a computer called softsqueeze.
        M.
        --- cherrytreeproduction <cherrytreeproduction@...>
        wrote:

        > you would need a player that has support for wireless &
        > can access
        > normal windows shares (aka samba shares).
        >
        > i do not know of any. maybe the pinnacle showcenter is
        > able to do
        > this, but it is a videoplayer as well.
        >
        > there is a different option also...the buffalo
        > linktheater...the
        > serversoftware is built-in the original firmwares.
        >
        > -- mindbender
        > www.linkstationwiki.net

        > "ant_in_wales"
        > <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi All
        > >
        > > I am looking to use my Linkstation 250 as an mp3 server
        > but would like
        > > to avoid hacking it.
        > > I have the NAS connected to a wireless router and would
        > like to
        > > connect a wireless mp3 player to my stereo.
        > >
        > > Does anyone know whether there is a player which could
        > see the NAS
        > > (via WPA) and let me browse folders and then play the
        > contents?
        > >
        > > I know this is a rougher way to behave rather than
        > having the process
        > > run on the NAS but I'm lazy. And cowardly.
        > >
        > > Phillips has the SLA5520 music receiver - would this
        > work?
        > >
        > > Apologies for being such an extreme newbie - I'm making
        > up for it by
        > > being helpful about the iRiver H10 & American comedians
        > elsewhere on
        > > the web...
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > >
        > > Tony

      • Ant Jones
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26, 2006
          Hi Tony

          Thanks, I'll have a look for the Turtle.

          If you were in my postition, what player would you buy?

          If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking about "if"!?) will that enable it to stream to any player?
          And would it erase all of my data?

          Isn't it an arse that people have to write & mess with their products just to get them to do what they want?

          Thanks very much for your advice.

          Tony

          The one that I know of and use is the Turtlebeach Audiotron. It
          accesses my Lan server over a wired network and plays my MP3 files. It
          also accesses streaming audio from the internet.

          Unfortunately, it is out of production but you may be able to find one
          on eBay.

          You should consider hacking your Linkstation, which will open up a wide
          range of media servers. For example, I can serve audio using my Tivo.
          The process is relatively risk free.

          cherrytreeproductio n wrote:

          > you would need a player that has support for wireless & can access
          > normal windows shares (aka samba shares).
          >
          > i do not know of any. maybe the pinnacle showcenter is able to do
          > this, but it is a videoplayer as well.
          >
          > there is a different option also...the buffalo linktheater. ..the
          > serversoftware is built-in the original firmwares.
          >
          > -- mindbender
          > www.linkstationwiki .net
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com
          > <mailto:LinkStation _General% 40yahoogroups. com>, "ant_in_wales"
          > <ant_in_wales@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All
          > >
          > > I am looking to use my Linkstation 250 as an mp3 server but would like
          > > to avoid hacking it.
          > > I have the NAS connected to a wireless router and would like to
          > > connect a wireless mp3 player to my stereo.
          > >
          > > Does anyone know whether there is a player which could see the NAS
          > > (via WPA) and let me browse folders and then play the contents?
          > >
          > > I know this is a rougher way to behave rather than having the process
          > > run on the NAS but I'm lazy. And cowardly.
          > >
          > > Phillips has the SLA5520 music receiver - would this work?
          > >
          > > Apologies for being such an extreme newbie - I'm making up for it by
          > > being helpful about the iRiver H10 & American comedians elsewhere on
          > > the web...
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Tony

        • Tony Morehen
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 26, 2006
            The audiotron works very well. It's big advantage is that all it needs
            is a Windows-compatible share. It works with the Linkstation out of the
            box.

            It does have some drawbacks:
            1) It is no longer supported.
            2) It has a mediocre DAC. However, it has digital audio out (coaxial)
            so if your amp has digital audio inputs, that would work out OK.
            3) It does not have a video interface so you can't use your TV to see or
            control what is playing. However, it does have a good remote and the
            display on the audiotron itself works well. There is also a web-based
            interface and several third party interfaces that control the audiotron
            over the internet.

            Unless you already own aTivo, I wouldn't use it as an interface. My
            Humax unit has a high noise level.

            I have no experience with other players, but there are a number that
            have linux-based servers that should work. I have no experience with
            them so I can't comment on their sutability.

            Installing the open firmware should not affect anything that is on your
            shared drives. There is some risk but I've done some stupid things and
            have always been able to recover without significant data loss.
            Although there was the time I did an rm -r /mnt. Ouch. I had to kill
            the rm process but I still lost some data. But that was my mistake, not
            that of the open firmware.

          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 26, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ant Jones <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:
              > If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking about "if"!?) will that enable it to stream
              to any player?

              To any player? Probably not. But chances are you'll find the right media server for your player
              here:

              <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles#Server_and_Media>

              > And would it erase all of my data?

              No. The custom firmwares reside on /dev/hda1 (partition 1 on the hard disk), the data on /
              dev/hda3. A restorable backup is as usual recommended.

              -Andre
            • mike redman
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                Interesting response.
                I have a Humax which has the usual hard drive hum. The
                noise levels can be reduced substantially with little
                effort. In my case I use a large thick peice of MDF under
                the box. This transmits vibrations without generating
                sound, then a layer of bubble wrap, another peice of MDF
                which sits on a wooden shelf. The many changes in material
                between the Humax box and the wooden furniture shelf
                reduces any noise generation to reasonably acceptable
                levels.

                M.

              • ant_in_wales
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                  I see that Buffalo is launching a new media player - the A&G - which
                  should work without any other kit because there is PCast on my
                  Linkstation.
                  Not available in the UK yet (or on American Amazon).
                  Anyone seen it or have an opinion?
                  Tony
                  "I've started smoking now that I'm a parent. Those things are supposed
                  to kill you but they're taking their time..."

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mike redman

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                    Thanks Andre, and to everyone else in the group who helped.
                    Looks like either a deep delve into Linkstationwiki, or wait to see
                    whether the new Linktheater is what I need...

                    Tony

                    <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ant Jones
                    <ant_in_wales@> wrote:
                    > > If I hack the Linkstation ([gulp], I'm already talking about
                    "if"!?) will that enable it to stream
                    > to any player?
                    >
                    > To any player? Probably not. But chances are you'll find the right
                    media server for your player
                    > here:
                    >
                    > <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Articles#Server_and_Media>
                    >
                    > > And would it erase all of my data?
                    >
                    > No. The custom firmwares reside on /dev/hda1 (partition 1 on the
                    hard disk), the data on /
                    > dev/hda3. A restorable backup is as usual recommended.
                    >
                    > -Andre

                  • Tony Morehen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                      Don't get me wrong I love my Tivo. I've upgraded the hard drive to
                      300GB or 348 hours recording capacity. And the hard drive noise is not
                      an issue -- the Tivo is in another room.

                      The noise I was talking about is in the Tivo audio signal. It has, in
                      my opinion, a poor signal to noise ratio. Admittedly, this noise is not
                      noticeable at normal TV listening levels and is usually masked by the
                      audio signal. However, I tend to listen to music at higher volume
                      levels and so the Tivo's background hiss becomes noticeable. BTW it's
                      not 60 cycle hum, but rather white noise hiss. Now this may be a
                      function of my set up but the hiss is not there for any of my other
                      components.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                        I see! My Humax is connected via the optical connector so
                        it's quiet.

                        === message truncated ===
                      • musikgoat
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 29, 2006
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ant_in_wales"
                          <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All
                          >
                          > I am looking to use my Linkstation 250 as an mp3 server but would like
                          > to avoid hacking it.
                          > I have the NAS connected to a wireless router and would like to
                          > connect a wireless mp3 player to my stereo.
                          >
                          > Does anyone know whether there is a player which could see the NAS
                          > (via WPA) and let me browse folders and then play the contents?
                          >
                          > I know this is a rougher way to behave rather than having the process
                          > run on the NAS but I'm lazy. And cowardly.
                          >
                          > Phillips has the SLA5520 music receiver - would this work?
                          >
                          > Apologies for being such an extreme newbie - I'm making up for it by
                          > being helpful about the iRiver H10 & American comedians elsewhere on
                          > the web...
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Tony

                          Not too sure about your endevor, although it seems easy.

                          Have you looked into a sonos system, they work with the linkstation
                          quite nicely and have great sound.

                          http://www.sonos.com/products/?tref=ghome