Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Replacing the fan

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 15, 2006
      Did you look at newegg?
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010110062+105760268&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=62

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Rob McDougall
      To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 9:11 AM
      Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Replacing the fan

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter450669"
      <peter.hillyer@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter450669"
      > <peter.hillyer@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Rob McDougall"
      > > <rcmgroups@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hillyer

      > > > from ITX Warehouse. As one of my 250GB LS2's has suddenly got
      > very
      > > > noisy.

      > > > FWIW, I just bought a SilenX 40 x 40 x 10 fan at an outrageous
      > cost
      > > > of $20 and stuck it in - guess what - the LinkStation doesn't
      > like
      > > > it. The fan runs but the system shuts down with the 4 blink
      > error
      > > > code (Fan trouble). NOW I notice that the stock ADDA fan says
      on
      > > > the sticker that its a 0.07 Amp fan (if I'm reading it
      > > accurately).
      > > > The luxury prices SilenX fan is rated at 0.04 AMP.
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone know if that would make all the difference?
      > > >
      > > > Pete, how did you go with yours? Work OK?
      > > >
      > > > Rob.
      > > >
      > > Hi Rob.
      > >
      > > Yes the fans I bought from ITX Warehouse work a treat. They are
      a 9
      > > blade fan, but otherwise work perfectly, They are available from
      > ITX
      > > Warehouse at £4.95 each plus post. You just need to cut the
      > supplied
      > > plug off and solder the three wires directly to the wires cut
      from
      > > the old fan.
      > > The electrical characteristics are indentical (0.07A), slightly
      > > faster @4500rpm.
      > >
      > > They are much quieter, but I am still thinking of implementing
      the
      > > AUTOFAN scripts as well.
      > >
      > > It will be interesting to see how long these ceramic bearing
      units
      > > hold up.
      > >

      > > The part number is FD1210 A3233A and are ARX Ceradyna units.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps others.
      > >
      > > Pete
      > >

      > Sorry Rob. I meant to add to your comments. I suspect that the
      reason
      > the linkstation didn't like your fan is not because of the current
      > consumption, but more likely because of the 3rd wire support.
      > You must use a fan with a standard Tacho (Frequency Generator)
      > output, these fans provide via an Open Collector transistor, an
      > output pulse which varies in frequency depending on the speed of
      > rotation.
      > It is this pulse which the LS uses to determine if the fan is
      running.
      > So if your fan does not provide this pulse then the LS will assume
      > the fan is not running, and shutdown.
      >
      > Pete

      Thanks Pete, that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I'm in the US
      of A and a google search does not reveal those nifty ADX fans - I'll
      have to do more research and find something with the FG feature.

      Any U.S. posters have any luck replacing their fan perhaps that can
      recommend a brand/model?

      Rob.
    • Rob McDougall
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 19, 2006
        > Did you look at newegg?
        > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?
        N=2010110062+105760268&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=62

        They have a couple - not clear though that they would work. The
        Frequency Generator feature is not mentioned and I'm a little
        reluctant to buy on the hope plan after wasting $20 on the little
        SilenX fan.

        Must be some kind US person out there that has replaced their fan with
        a model that worked...any one?

        Thank you,
      • Timo
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 19, 2006
          On Sep 19 at 16:22, Rob McDougall wrote:

          > > Did you look at newegg?
          > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?
          > N=2010110062+105760268&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=62
          > >

          > They have a couple - not clear though that they would work. The
          > Frequency Generator feature is not mentioned and I'm a little
          > reluctant to buy on the hope plan after wasting $20 on the little
          > SilenX fan.

          While i don't live in the US, and have never ordered from newegg, i have
          replaced the fan in my LS2 without any problems.

          Looking at what newegg has available, these will work:

          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119049

          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999016

          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835104004

          Judging by the specs they're not the most quiet though..

          Personally i used a SilenX fan (with rpm monitor wire) that i grabbed for
          something like UKP 8 off a webshop in the UK. In fact i found out that
          SilenX are just re-badged Adda fans anyway :) They've just added a resistor
          to certain models to keep the rpm's (and with that the noise) down.

          T.
        • __linkstation@pdsys.org
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 23, 2006
            Hello,

            Hope this is allowed to be posted to this list-- I am putting my 400 gig LinkStation up for sale on eBay:

            It's been gently used, and is in excellent condition.

            -Nicholas