Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Can mount USB disk formatted FAT32 or NTFS?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2004
      --- irvine_stock <r_obermeyer@...> wrote:

      > In fact I did reformat it once for grins and it
      > only> sees half of my 512MB version.

      How odd. I wonder what would happen if you bypassed
      the Web interface and used normal shell commands

      > I don't know how much trouble it would be to get
      > NTFS on the LS. The driver is not there stock.

      I thought it was as a loadable module. Try doing a
      "modprobe ntfs", optionally followed by an "lsmod" to
      see if it loaded.

      > May be a good reason for that too.

      The good reason is that this driver will only offer
      read-only support. There is a thing called
      "captive-ntfs" that uses a "wrapper" that then uses
      the Microsoft Windows ntfs driver that you can steal
      from a copy of Windows that offers full read-write
      support, but it is a little flakey (not to mention
      immoral to us open-source types).

      > I know some experts here can give
      > you the correct commands to do it right. I always
      > screw up the
      > samba config and then on reboot the web stuff
      > clears it back out.
      > Wish I knew what that was all about.

      The Web stuff has it's own copy of the samba config
      file that it will write over the normal copy. You
      would have to tamper with this to stop that behaviour.
      If you install the Samba-3 with SWAT that is in the
      "files" section, then SWAT will give you tons of
      documentation on using Samba and a more complete web
      interface on how to set it up. Hint: To get into SWAT
      do: "http://<linkstation's IP>:901" once it is enabled
      in /etc/inetd.conf

      Be patient, we will eventually figure out easier ways
      to do all this, or at least better instructions.

      http://my.yahoo.com