Cannot boot to /dev/hda3

  • ssbbikari
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11 6:43 PM
      hi,

      I flash my Linkstation with Openlink and untar the express package
      into the /dev/hda3.
      It was working before, however, after I run the apt-get upgrade, then
      it cannot bootup with hda3.
      After using a live Linux CD swaphd and boot to hda1, I setup hda3
      again, however it still cannot bootup with hda3.
      Then I bootup with hda1 again and unmount hda3 to perform fsck,
      however, it seems can't start.
      Please give me some advise , thank you very much.
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11 10:30 PM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ssbbikari" <ssbbikari@...> wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > I flash my Linkstation with Openlink and untar the express package
        > into the /dev/hda3.
        > It was working before, however, after I run the apt-get upgrade, then
        > it cannot bootup with hda3.
        > After using a live Linux CD swaphd and boot to hda1, I setup hda3
        > again, however it still cannot bootup with hda3.
        > Then I bootup with hda1 again and unmount hda3 to perform fsck,
        > however, it seems can't start.
        > Please give me some advise , thank you very much.

        You can't boot into /dev/hda3 unless you're using a bootloader like u-boot or my kernel
        2.6 loader with the appropriate option set in /etc/default/boot_new.sh; plus modified /
        etc/fstab. Check out

        http://hvkls.dyndns.org

        -Andre
      • ssbbikari
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11 11:43 PM
          thanks for your advise. however, I can boot to the /dev/hda3 before I
          run the apt-get upgrade

          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ssbbikari" <ssbbikari@>
          wrote:

          > > hi,
          > >
          > > I flash my Linkstation with Openlink and untar the express package
          > > into the /dev/hda3.
          > > It was working before, however, after I run the apt-get upgrade, then
          > > it cannot bootup with hda3.
          > > After using a live Linux CD swaphd and boot to hda1, I setup hda3
          > > again, however it still cannot bootup with hda3.
          > > Then I bootup with hda1 again and unmount hda3 to perform fsck,
          > > however, it seems can't start.
          > > Please give me some advise , thank you very much.
          >
          > You can't boot into /dev/hda3 unless you're using a bootloader like
          u-boot or my kernel
          > 2.6 loader with the appropriate option set in
          /etc/default/boot_new.sh; plus modified /
          > etc/fstab. Check out
          >
          > http://hvkls.dyndns.org
          >
          > -Andre

        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11 11:55 PM
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ssbbikari" <ssbbikari@...> wrote:

            > thanks for your advise. however, I can boot to the /dev/hda3 before I
            > run the apt-get upgrade

            But not without the files in /dev/hda1.

            -Andre
          • ssbbikari
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12 12:15 AM
              hi,
              but I can still boot with /dev/hda1

              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ssbbikari" <ssbbikari@>
              wrote:

              > > thanks for your advise. however, I can boot to the /dev/hda3 before I
              > > run the apt-get upgrade
              >
              > But not without the files in /dev/hda1.
              >
              > -Andre

            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12 1:10 AM
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ssbbikari" <ssbbikari@...> wrote:

                > hi,
                > but I can still boot with /dev/hda1

                Fortunately so.

                The kernel in flash ROM is factually "hardwired" to use /dev/hda1 as the root file system.

                -Andre
              • ssbbikari
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12 1:33 AM
                  Isn't swappart_mipsel /dev/hda /dev/hda
                  will swap hda3 with hda1 so that the firmware will load the linux on hda3?

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10" <lalunas10@...>
                  wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ssbbikari" <ssbbikari@>
                  wrote:

                  > > hi,
                  > > but I can still boot with /dev/hda1
                  >
                  > Fortunately so.
                  >
                  > The kernel in flash ROM is factually "hardwired" to use /dev/hda1 as
                  the root file system.

                  > -Andre

                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 12 2:05 AM
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ssbbikari" <ssbbikari@...> wrote:

                    > Isn't swappart_mipsel /dev/hda /dev/hda
                    > will swap hda3 with hda1 so that the firmware will load the linux on hda3?

                    I don't know --check your /etc/fstab.

                    -Andre