Buffalo Linkstation USB Disk Format for Mac/Linkstation/PC

  • sfseay
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
      I'm trying to format an external USB drive to eventually connect to my
      Mac Mini running OSX 10.4.7.

      My problem is if I format the drive using the Linkstation (ext2
      format), then copy files from the Linkstation to the USB Drive, then
      connect the USB drive to my Mac, the Mac can't read the drive. If I
      format the USB drive on my Mac using the Mac OS Extended formatting or
      MS_DOS (FAT32) the Linkstation won't recognize the drive. How can I
      format the USB drive to be readable by the Mac, the Buffalo
      Linkstation, and also a PC (nice to have the PC, but not critical)?

      Thanks in advance for any help.
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sfseay" <sfseay@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to format an external USB drive to eventually connect to my
        > Mac Mini running OSX 10.4.7.
        >
        > My problem is if I format the drive using the Linkstation (ext2
        > format), then copy files from the Linkstation to the USB Drive, then
        > connect the USB drive to my Mac, the Mac can't read the drive. If I
        > format the USB drive on my Mac using the Mac OS Extended formatting or
        > MS_DOS (FAT32) the Linkstation won't recognize the drive. How can I
        > format the USB drive to be readable by the Mac, the Buffalo
        > Linkstation, and also a PC (nice to have the PC, but not critical)?

        VFAT ("MS DOS Format") is the only exchange format that's supposed to work. Any chance
        you can partition and format the drive on a WIndows computer?

        -Andre
      • Santino Manahan
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
          @lucas

          Does VFAT work with a Linkstation using buffalo's firmware or is open/freelink needed?

          Cheers,
          Santino

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Santino Manahan <iamsantino@...> wrote:
            > Does VFAT work with a Linkstation using buffalo's firmware or is open/freelink needed?

            VFAT works w/ all firmwares

            -Andre
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
              easiest way is to format a hdd on a windows pc with Fat.

              -- mindbender
              www.linkstationwiki.net