Replacing the fan

  • Nick Pappas
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
      Has anyone replaced the fan to their LinkStation? Could you point me
      to a product id that worked well?

      Thanks!

      --
      Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      yourself either.
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Pappas"
        <nwpappas@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone replaced the fan to their LinkStation? Could you point me
        > to a product id that worked well?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > --
        > Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
        > yourself either.
        > Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.

        I don't know if many have done this but the Wiki Faq has an entry on this:
        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:FAQ#Can_I_replace_the_LinkStation_fan.3F

        -ramuk from linkstationwiki.net
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2006
          Here's a couple of massages from way back regarding such.

          AD0412LX-G76 should be a HYPRO bearing fan instead of
          sleeve...and it should be the most quietest one in the
          list so far...I have the same fan in my LS...it's one
          of the best fan I have seen so far...and I may
          consider to get some HYPRO bearing fans for my other
          computers if possible.

          --- lifeisfuneh <

          href="mailto:LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com">LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek
          size=3>taubert@g...> wrote:

          > > The cheap sleeve bearing fan in my Linkstation had
          > been making
          > noise for
          > > a few months.  Yesterday afternoon, it
          seized.
          > Much to my
          > surprise, the
          > > Linkstation shut
          itself down cleanly (it actually
          > pays attention
          > to the
          > > tach third wire).
          > >
          > > I found it powered off with
          the red diag light
          > flashing.  Powering
          > the unit
          > > back on would result in another clean shutdown
          > once the system was
          > fully
          > > up.  Heck of a feature for such an
          inexpensive
          > product...
          > >
          > > I followed the
          instructions here to get the box

          http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstewart228368/linkstation/Disassembly.
          > html
          > >
          > > It has a 40mm x 10mm 12V fan,
          ADDA part

          size=3>http://www.addausa.com/model_index.htm

          > > I'm going to replace it with a ball bearing fan,
          > ADDA
          part

          href="http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi">http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 12, 2006
            For UK readers, Maplin electronics ghas something that looks like a
            direct replacement (I say looks like because I haven't tried it). It's
            a low quality sleeve bearing though, so maybe someone can identify a
            better product elsewhere:
            http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32006
          • Nick Pappas
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 12, 2006
              Thanks for the info all! I little WD-40 fixed the issue for the time
              being -- hopefully long enough to find a new fan and have it ready for
              when the grinding starts again.

              --
              Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
              yourself either.
              Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
            • Peter Hillyer
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 13, 2006
                Hi I have just ordered 2 ARX Ceradyna  40x40x10 low noise fans from ITX Warehouse. As one of my 250GB LS2's has suddenly got very noisy.

                These have ceramic bearings, just hope they are quite enough

                I will let you know how I get on

                Pete
              • Rob McDougall
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hillyer
                  <peter.hillyer@...> wrote:

                  > Hi I have just ordered 2 ARX Ceradyna 40x40x10 low noise fans
                  from ITX Warehouse. As one of my 250GB LS2's has suddenly got very
                  noisy.

                  > These have ceramic bearings, just hope they are quite enough
                  >
                  > I will let you know how I get on
                  >

                  > Pete

                  FWIW, I just bought a SilenX 40 x 40 x 10 fan at an outrageous cost
                  of $20 and stuck it in - guess what - the LinkStation doesn't like
                  it. The fan runs but the system shuts down with the 4 blink error
                  code (Fan trouble). NOW I notice that the stock ADDA fan says on
                  the sticker that its a 0.07 Amp fan (if I'm reading it accurately).
                  The luxury prices SilenX fan is rated at 0.04 AMP.

                  Does anyone know if that would make all the difference?

                  Pete, how did you go with yours? Work OK?

                  Rob.
                • peter450669
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 15, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Rob McDougall"
                    <rcmgroups@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hillyer
                    > <peter.hillyer@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi I have just ordered 2 ARX Ceradyna 40x40x10 low noise fans
                    > from ITX Warehouse. As one of my 250GB LS2's has suddenly got very
                    > noisy.
                    > >
                    > > These have ceramic bearings, just hope they are quite enough
                    > >
                    > > I will let you know how I get on
                    > >

                    > > Pete
                    > >

                    > FWIW, I just bought a SilenX 40 x 40 x 10 fan at an outrageous cost
                    > of $20 and stuck it in - guess what - the LinkStation doesn't like
                    > it. The fan runs but the system shuts down with the 4 blink error
                    > code (Fan trouble). NOW I notice that the stock ADDA fan says on
                    > the sticker that its a 0.07 Amp fan (if I'm reading it
                    accurately).
                    > The luxury prices SilenX fan is rated at 0.04 AMP.
                    >
                    > Does anyone know if that would make all the difference?
                    >
                    > Pete, how did you go with yours? Work OK?
                    >
                    > Rob.

                    Hi Rob.

                    Yes the fans I bought from ITX Warehouse work a treat. They are a 9
                    blade fan, but otherwise work perfectly, They are available from ITX
                    Warehouse at £4.95 each plus post. You just need to cut the supplied
                    plug off and solder the three wires directly to the wires cut from
                    the old fan.
                    The electrical characteristics are indentical (0.07A), slightly
                    faster @4500rpm.

                    They are much quieter, but I am still thinking of implementing the
                    AUTOFAN scripts as well.

                    It will be interesting to see how long these ceramic bearing units
                    hold up.

                    The part number is FD1210 A3233A and are ARX Ceradyna units.

                    Hope this helps others.

                    Pete
                  • peter450669
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 15, 2006
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter450669"
                      <peter.hillyer@...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Rob McDougall"
                      > <rcmgroups@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hillyer
                      > > <peter.hillyer@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi I have just ordered 2 ARX Ceradyna 40x40x10 low noise fans
                      > > from ITX Warehouse. As one of my 250GB LS2's has suddenly got
                      very
                      > > noisy.
                      > > >
                      > > > These have ceramic bearings, just hope they are quite enough
                      > > >
                      > > > I will let you know how I get on
                      > > >

                      > > > Pete
                      > > >

                      > > FWIW, I just bought a SilenX 40 x 40 x 10 fan at an outrageous
                      cost
                      > > of $20 and stuck it in - guess what - the LinkStation doesn't
                      like
                      > > it. The fan runs but the system shuts down with the 4 blink
                      error
                      > > code (Fan trouble). NOW I notice that the stock ADDA fan says on
                      > > the sticker that its a 0.07 Amp fan (if I'm reading it
                      > accurately).
                      > > The luxury prices SilenX fan is rated at 0.04 AMP.
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone know if that would make all the difference?
                      > >
                      > > Pete, how did you go with yours? Work OK?
                      > >
                      > > Rob.
                      > >
                      > Hi Rob.
                      >
                      > Yes the fans I bought from ITX Warehouse work a treat. They are a 9
                      > blade fan, but otherwise work perfectly, They are available from
                      ITX
                      > Warehouse at £4.95 each plus post. You just need to cut the
                      supplied
                      > plug off and solder the three wires directly to the wires cut from
                      > the old fan.
                      > The electrical characteristics are indentical (0.07A), slightly
                      > faster @4500rpm.
                      >
                      > They are much quieter, but I am still thinking of implementing the
                      > AUTOFAN scripts as well.
                      >
                      > It will be interesting to see how long these ceramic bearing units
                      > hold up.
                      >

                      > The part number is FD1210 A3233A and are ARX Ceradyna units.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps others.
                      >
                      > Pete

                      Sorry Rob. I meant to add to your comments. I suspect that the reason
                      the linkstation didn't like your fan is not because of the current
                      consumption, but more likely because of the 3rd wire support.
                      You must use a fan with a standard Tacho (Frequency Generator)
                      output, these fans provide via an Open Collector transistor, an
                      output pulse which varies in frequency depending on the speed of
                      rotation.
                      It is this pulse which the LS uses to determine if the fan is running.
                      So if your fan does not provide this pulse then the LS will assume
                      the fan is not running, and shutdown.

                      Pete
                    • Rob McDougall
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 15, 2006
                        <peter.hillyer@...> wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter450669"
                        > <peter.hillyer@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Rob McDougall"
                        > > <rcmgroups@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hillyer

                        > > > from ITX Warehouse. As one of my 250GB LS2's has suddenly got
                        > very
                        > > > noisy.

                        > > > FWIW, I just bought a SilenX 40 x 40 x 10 fan at an outrageous
                        > cost
                        > > > of $20 and stuck it in - guess what - the LinkStation doesn't
                        > like
                        > > > it. The fan runs but the system shuts down with the 4 blink
                        > error
                        > > > code (Fan trouble). NOW I notice that the stock ADDA fan says
                        on
                        > > > the sticker that its a 0.07 Amp fan (if I'm reading it
                        > > accurately).
                        > > > The luxury prices SilenX fan is rated at 0.04 AMP.
                        > > >
                        > > > Does anyone know if that would make all the difference?
                        > > >
                        > > > Pete, how did you go with yours? Work OK?
                        > > >
                        > > > Rob.
                        > > >
                        > > Hi Rob.
                        > >
                        > > Yes the fans I bought from ITX Warehouse work a treat. They are
                        a 9
                        > > blade fan, but otherwise work perfectly, They are available from
                        > ITX
                        > > Warehouse at £4.95 each plus post. You just need to cut the
                        > supplied
                        > > plug off and solder the three wires directly to the wires cut
                        from
                        > > the old fan.
                        > > The electrical characteristics are indentical (0.07A), slightly
                        > > faster @4500rpm.
                        > >
                        > > They are much quieter, but I am still thinking of implementing
                        the
                        > > AUTOFAN scripts as well.
                        > >
                        > > It will be interesting to see how long these ceramic bearing
                        units
                        > > hold up.
                        > >

                        > > The part number is FD1210 A3233A and are ARX Ceradyna units.
                        > >
                        > > Hope this helps others.
                        > >
                        > > Pete
                        > >

                        > Sorry Rob. I meant to add to your comments. I suspect that the
                        reason
                        > the linkstation didn't like your fan is not because of the current
                        > consumption, but more likely because of the 3rd wire support.
                        > You must use a fan with a standard Tacho (Frequency Generator)
                        > output, these fans provide via an Open Collector transistor, an
                        > output pulse which varies in frequency depending on the speed of
                        > rotation.
                        > It is this pulse which the LS uses to determine if the fan is
                        running.
                        > So if your fan does not provide this pulse then the LS will assume
                        > the fan is not running, and shutdown.
                        >
                        > Pete

                        Thanks Pete, that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I'm in the US
                        of A and a google search does not reveal those nifty ADX fans - I'll
                        have to do more research and find something with the FG feature.

                        Any U.S. posters have any luck replacing their fan perhaps that can
                        recommend a brand/model?

                        Rob.
                      • James Ronald
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 15, 2006
                          Did you look at newegg?
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010110062+105760268&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=62

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 19, 2006
                            > Did you look at newegg?
                            > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?
                            N=2010110062+105760268&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=62

                            They have a couple - not clear though that they would work. The
                            Frequency Generator feature is not mentioned and I'm a little
                            reluctant to buy on the hope plan after wasting $20 on the little
                            SilenX fan.

                            Must be some kind US person out there that has replaced their fan with
                            a model that worked...any one?

                            Thank you,
                          • Timo
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 19, 2006
                              On Sep 19 at 16:22, Rob McDougall wrote:

                              > > Did you look at newegg?
                              > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?
                              > N=2010110062+105760268&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=62
                              > >

                              > They have a couple - not clear though that they would work. The
                              > Frequency Generator feature is not mentioned and I'm a little
                              > reluctant to buy on the hope plan after wasting $20 on the little
                              > SilenX fan.

                              While i don't live in the US, and have never ordered from newegg, i have
                              replaced the fan in my LS2 without any problems.

                              Looking at what newegg has available, these will work:

                              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119049

                              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999016

                              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835104004

                              Judging by the specs they're not the most quiet though..

                              Personally i used a SilenX fan (with rpm monitor wire) that i grabbed for
                              something like UKP 8 off a webshop in the UK. In fact i found out that
                              SilenX are just re-badged Adda fans anyway :) They've just added a resistor
                              to certain models to keep the rpm's (and with that the noise) down.

                              T.
                            • __linkstation@pdsys.org
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 23, 2006
                                Hello,

                                Hope this is allowed to be posted to this list-- I am putting my 400 gig LinkStation up for sale on eBay:

                                It's been gently used, and is in excellent condition.

                                -Nicholas