A couple questions from a new HD-HG300LAN Owner

  • ummmmm22
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2006
      1. The IP Setup Utility never found my device, although it was doing
      DHCP already and I've been able to configure it via its web interface.
      I can also access it fine from my Windows box. The only tip
      mentioned was to disable any firewalls, but I don't have any software
      ones running. (Yes, I double-checked that the Windows one wasn't
      enabled.) Any ideas on what else to try? Since it works through the
      web interface, I'm not too concerned, but I am curious what I might be
      missing.

      2. The latest firmware for my device is listed as 1.42 on Buffalo's
      site, yet the current firmware is listed at 1.61 on the device status
      page. Any explanation for this discrepancy? Not that I'm having any
      problems right now, but I'd like to know when bugs are fixed or new
      capabilities added (and I'm not ready to hack a custom firmware/Linux
      yet :-))

      Thanks for any advice.
      Doug
    • ummmmm22
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@...>
        wrote:

        > 1. The IP Setup Utility never found my device, although it was doing
        > DHCP already and I've been able to configure it via its web interface.
        > I can also access it fine from my Windows box. The only tip
        > mentioned was to disable any firewalls, but I don't have any software
        > ones running. (Yes, I double-checked that the Windows one wasn't
        > enabled.) Any ideas on what else to try? Since it works through the
        > web interface, I'm not too concerned, but I am curious what I might be
        > missing.
        >
        > 2. The latest firmware for my device is listed as 1.42 on Buffalo's
        > site, yet the current firmware is listed at 1.61 on the device status
        > page. Any explanation for this discrepancy? Not that I'm having any
        > problems right now, but I'd like to know when bugs are fixed or new
        > capabilities added (and I'm not ready to hack a custom firmware/Linux
        > yet :-))
        >
        > Thanks for any advice.
        > Doug

        2. Did just find this thread with some relevant information:

        <http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=6&topic=1199>
      • ramuklinkstation
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2006
          wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > 1. The IP Setup Utility never found my device, although it was doing
          > > DHCP already and I've been able to configure it via its web interface.
          > > I can also access it fine from my Windows box. The only tip
          > > mentioned was to disable any firewalls, but I don't have any software
          > > ones running. (Yes, I double-checked that the Windows one wasn't
          > > enabled.) Any ideas on what else to try? Since it works through the
          > > web interface, I'm not too concerned, but I am curious what I might be
          > > missing.
          > >
          > > 2. The latest firmware for my device is listed as 1.42 on Buffalo's
          > > site, yet the current firmware is listed at 1.61 on the device status
          > > page. Any explanation for this discrepancy? Not that I'm having any
          > > problems right now, but I'd like to know when bugs are fixed or new
          > > capabilities added (and I'm not ready to hack a custom firmware/Linux
          > > yet :-))
          > >
          > > Thanks for any advice.
          > > Doug
          > >

          > 2. Did just find this thread with some relevant information:

          <http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=6&topic=1199>

          Some of your questions may be answered at the linkstationwiki FAQ
          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FAQ

          You may want to consider OpenLink, even though it involves a custom
          firmware. It does offer the ability to ADD much in the way of
          functionality while keeping the same stock interface.
          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink

          Ramuk from linkstationwiki.net
        • ummmmm22
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ramuklinkstation"
            <ramuklinkstation@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > 1. The IP Setup Utility never found my device, although it was
            doing
            > > > DHCP already and I've been able to configure it via its web
            interface.
            > > > I can also access it fine from my Windows box. The only tip
            > > > mentioned was to disable any firewalls, but I don't have any
            software
            > > > ones running. (Yes, I double-checked that the Windows one wasn't
            > > > enabled.) Any ideas on what else to try? Since it works
            through the
            > > > web interface, I'm not too concerned, but I am curious what I
            might be
            > > > missing.
            > > >
            > > > 2. The latest firmware for my device is listed as 1.42 on Buffalo's
            > > > site, yet the current firmware is listed at 1.61 on the device
            status
            > > > page. Any explanation for this discrepancy? Not that I'm
            having any
            > > > problems right now, but I'd like to know when bugs are fixed or new
            > > > capabilities added (and I'm not ready to hack a custom
            firmware/Linux
            > > > yet :-))
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for any advice.
            > > > Doug
            > > >

            > > 2. Did just find this thread with some relevant information:

            <http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=6&topic=1199>

            > Some of your questions may be answered at the linkstationwiki FAQ
            > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FAQ
            >
            > You may want to consider OpenLink, even though it involves a custom
            > firmware. It does offer the ability to ADD much in the way of
            > functionality while keeping the same stock interface.
            > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink
            >
            > Ramuk from linkstationwiki.net

            Yeah, I did read about the firmware and start thinking I might want
            OpenLink. I'm just doubtful that flashing will work for me since the
            setup program doesn't. If I decide to go that route, I'll have to try
            to get the setup program working. Probably will try direct connect,
            putting my PC on the same subnet as the default IP.

            Thanks.

            Doug
          • musikgoat
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 12, 2006
              wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ramuklinkstation"
              > <ramuklinkstation@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ummmmm22" <ummmmm-22@>

              > doing
              > interface.
              > software
              > through the
              > might be

              Buffalo's
              > status
              > having any
              > firmware/Linux

              > > > 2. Did just find this thread with some relevant information:

              <http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=6&topic=1199>

              > > Some of your questions may be answered at the linkstationwiki FAQ
              > > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FAQ
              > >
              > > You may want to consider OpenLink, even though it involves a custom
              > > firmware. It does offer the ability to ADD much in the way of
              > > functionality while keeping the same stock interface.
              > > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink
              > >
              > > Ramuk from linkstationwiki.net
              > >

              > Yeah, I did read about the firmware and start thinking I might want
              > OpenLink. I'm just doubtful that flashing will work for me since the
              > setup program doesn't. If I decide to go that route, I'll have to try
              > to get the setup program working. Probably will try direct connect,
              > putting my PC on the same subnet as the default IP.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Doug

              Why put yourself through the trouble of connecting it directly when
              everything works except for one program. I will bet that if you try
              the TSclient utility instead of the one packaged, you will find that
              this works.

              The TSclient util was marked for the Terastation but its reverse
              compatible with the Linkstation line.

              download it here: http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/TsClient.zip

              give that a try, and blame the program, not the box.

              -goat
            • ummmmm22
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006
                > > Yeah, I did read about the firmware and start thinking I might want
                > > OpenLink. I'm just doubtful that flashing will work for me since the
                > > setup program doesn't. If I decide to go that route, I'll have to try
                > > to get the setup program working. Probably will try direct connect,
                > > putting my PC on the same subnet as the default IP.
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > Doug
                > >

                > Why put yourself through the trouble of connecting it directly when
                > everything works except for one program. I will bet that if you try
                > the TSclient utility instead of the one packaged, you will find that
                > this works.
                >
                > The TSclient util was marked for the Terastation but its reverse
                > compatible with the Linkstation line.
                >
                > download it here: http://www.buffalotech.com/downloads/TsClient.zip
                >
                > give that a try, and blame the program, not the box.
                >
                > -goat

                Somehow I missed this reply until I started searching for a solution
                again. Looks like you were right, so thanks a lot for the advice.
                TSClient does indeed see the device. Now I just have to get the
                courage to flash the firmware :)