More file attributes issues

  • lrodda
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      I assume the following is associated with my initial inquiry but it
      sure would be great if someone has a simple answer that doesn't
      invalidate my warranty.

      As I mentioned previously, it doesn't seem to be possible to set the
      Windows READ-ONLY file attribute for an individual file on my LS-2.

      Now I discover (should have guessed) that the same thing applies to
      the windows ARCHIVE file attribute. It can't be set manually or
      programatically. While this may not seem like a big deal, it makes
      INCREMENTAL backups across the a network impossible.

      If these boxes are going to be attached to Windows networks it seems
      like they should act like a Windows machine with respects to their
      individual file attribute.

      So, does anyone have a solution, that doesn't invalidate my warranty,
      that will make the box (samba?) honor the Windows individual file
      attributes?

      Thanks in advance for the thoughts.

      LAR
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lrodda" <Larry@...> wrote:
        [Windows archive bit]
        > So, does anyone have a solution, that doesn't invalidate my warranty,
        > that will make the box (samba?) honor the Windows individual file
        > attributes?

        Google.

        http://www.faqs.org/docs/samba/ch08.html