Re: Need autofan help for LS2 (MIPS)

  • j_k_orr
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10 1:40 AM
      <lalunas10@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "j_k_orr" <john@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "j_k_orr" <john@>
      wrote:

      > > > I've tried setting up the Cool'n Quiet scripts but I'm having a
      bit of
      > > > a problem.
      > > >
      > > > I have an LS2 flashed with Openlink.
      > > > I manually installed the Cool'n Quiet scripts, following the
      shell
      > > > script but it doesn't seem to be behaving - the fan remains
      running on
      > > > high the whole time.
      > > >
      > > > When I manually do an Autofand stop, the process ends, but when
      I then
      > > > restart it with AutoFand start I get a whole bunch of errors:
      > > > /etc/init.d/AutoFan: [: - unary operator expected
      > > > The logfile, linkstation.log, has a message that the AutoFan
      script
      > > > has started.
      > > >
      > > > Can someone please help me to figure out what's not working and
      how to
      > > > fix it?
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > John
      > > >

      > > Sorted - a stupid typo on my part.
      > > Now it's running but the fan never seems to go into quiet mode.
      > > Where do I start?
      > > John
      >
      > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/MIPSelAVR
      >
      > (wrong /dev/ttyS* probably, wrong command maybe)
      >
      > -Andre

      Thanks Andre,
      The command looks correct.
      I have put in additional logging points to try and figure out what is
      happening and it looks like it's simply a case of the hard drive
      spinning up on a regular basis and the script catching it at
      the 'wrong time'.
      I've tried killing off various processes to see what is initiating
      the disk access. I haven't quite narrowed it down, but killing
      thttpd, ftp and samba means that it does eventually quieten down. But
      I need these running even though real access is infrequent.
      Is there a more 'intelligent' autofan utility which relies on drive
      temperature or some other method to optimise fan speed?
      I have seen mention of using smartmon but douldn't find any
      definitive scripts with it working.
      John