Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Need autofan help for LS2 (MIPS)

Expand Messages
  • j_k_orr
    I ve tried setting up the Cool n Quiet scripts but I m having a bit of a problem. I have an LS2 flashed with Openlink. I manually installed the Cool n Quiet
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 9 12:25 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      I've tried setting up the Cool'n Quiet scripts but I'm having a bit of
      a problem.

      I have an LS2 flashed with Openlink.
      I manually installed the Cool'n Quiet scripts, following the shell
      script but it doesn't seem to be behaving - the fan remains running on
      high the whole time.

      When I manually do an Autofand stop, the process ends, but when I then
      restart it with AutoFand start I get a whole bunch of errors:
      /etc/init.d/AutoFan: [: - unary operator expected
      The logfile, linkstation.log, has a message that the AutoFan script
      has started.

      Can someone please help me to figure out what's not working and how to
      fix it?
      Thanks,
      John
    • j_k_orr
      ... Sorted - a stupid typo on my part. Now it s running but the fan never seems to go into quiet mode. Where do I start? John
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 6:43 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "j_k_orr" <john@...> wrote:
        >
        > I've tried setting up the Cool'n Quiet scripts but I'm having a bit of
        > a problem.
        >
        > I have an LS2 flashed with Openlink.
        > I manually installed the Cool'n Quiet scripts, following the shell
        > script but it doesn't seem to be behaving - the fan remains running on
        > high the whole time.
        >
        > When I manually do an Autofand stop, the process ends, but when I then
        > restart it with AutoFand start I get a whole bunch of errors:
        > /etc/init.d/AutoFan: [: - unary operator expected
        > The logfile, linkstation.log, has a message that the AutoFan script
        > has started.
        >
        > Can someone please help me to figure out what's not working and how to
        > fix it?
        > Thanks,
        > John
        >

        Sorted - a stupid typo on my part.
        Now it's running but the fan never seems to go into quiet mode.
        Where do I start?
        John
      • lalunas10
        ... http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/MIPSelAVR (wrong /dev/ttyS* probably, wrong command maybe) -Andre
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 9 2:27 PM
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "j_k_orr" <john@...> wrote:
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "j_k_orr" <john@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've tried setting up the Cool'n Quiet scripts but I'm having a bit of
          > > a problem.
          > >
          > > I have an LS2 flashed with Openlink.
          > > I manually installed the Cool'n Quiet scripts, following the shell
          > > script but it doesn't seem to be behaving - the fan remains running on
          > > high the whole time.
          > >
          > > When I manually do an Autofand stop, the process ends, but when I then
          > > restart it with AutoFand start I get a whole bunch of errors:
          > > /etc/init.d/AutoFan: [: - unary operator expected
          > > The logfile, linkstation.log, has a message that the AutoFan script
          > > has started.
          > >
          > > Can someone please help me to figure out what's not working and how to
          > > fix it?
          > > Thanks,
          > > John
          > >
          >
          > Sorted - a stupid typo on my part.
          > Now it's running but the fan never seems to go into quiet mode.
          > Where do I start?
          > John

          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/MIPSelAVR

          (wrong /dev/ttyS* probably, wrong command maybe)

          -Andre
        • j_k_orr
          ... bit of ... shell ... running on ... I then ... script ... how to ... Thanks Andre, The command looks correct. I have put in additional logging points to
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10 1:40 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            <lalunas10@...> wrote:
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "j_k_orr" <john@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "j_k_orr" <john@>
            wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've tried setting up the Cool'n Quiet scripts but I'm having a
            bit of
            > > > a problem.
            > > >
            > > > I have an LS2 flashed with Openlink.
            > > > I manually installed the Cool'n Quiet scripts, following the
            shell
            > > > script but it doesn't seem to be behaving - the fan remains
            running on
            > > > high the whole time.
            > > >
            > > > When I manually do an Autofand stop, the process ends, but when
            I then
            > > > restart it with AutoFand start I get a whole bunch of errors:
            > > > /etc/init.d/AutoFan: [: - unary operator expected
            > > > The logfile, linkstation.log, has a message that the AutoFan
            script
            > > > has started.
            > > >
            > > > Can someone please help me to figure out what's not working and
            how to
            > > > fix it?
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > John
            > > >
            > >
            > > Sorted - a stupid typo on my part.
            > > Now it's running but the fan never seems to go into quiet mode.
            > > Where do I start?
            > > John
            >
            > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/MIPSelAVR
            >
            > (wrong /dev/ttyS* probably, wrong command maybe)
            >
            > -Andre
            >
            Thanks Andre,
            The command looks correct.
            I have put in additional logging points to try and figure out what is
            happening and it looks like it's simply a case of the hard drive
            spinning up on a regular basis and the script catching it at
            the 'wrong time'.
            I've tried killing off various processes to see what is initiating
            the disk access. I haven't quite narrowed it down, but killing
            thttpd, ftp and samba means that it does eventually quieten down. But
            I need these running even though real access is infrequent.
            Is there a more 'intelligent' autofan utility which relies on drive
            temperature or some other method to optimise fan speed?
            I have seen mention of using smartmon but douldn't find any
            definitive scripts with it working.
            John
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.