Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: LinkStation USB direct to PC

  • Thomas Ilnseher
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7 4:15 PM
      Regarding your question:

      It's not the problem that the LS is outputting +5V,
      rather it's the problem that the LS is a master, and not a slave device.

      It's like trying to connect 2 PCs via usb2.0
      the solution for the PC is a usb crosslink cable that has a chip in the
      middle
      which acts as a slave to the 2 PCs.

      you need to find a crosslink cable w/ a chip that is supported by linux.
      then you need to compile the driver for this thingie for the LS's linux
      kernel
      (that isn't a trivial task) and load the module on the LS.

      see this link: http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/#t-host

      the speed of this setup is mostly limited by the bridge chip used.

      also note that even if the link itself could work on faster speeds,
      this doesn't mean that the LS could actually provide the data faster.

      remember the stuff has to go trou the network layer on the LS, and
      the LS has a quite limited processing speed.

      danbridgland wrote:

      > Thanks mmsupport staff,
      >
      > A simple cross-over cable would not provide the speeds that could be
      > achived by using USB 2.0
      >
      > My original question still stands.
      >
      > Does anyone know of a way to link/network the Linkstation and a PC
      > via USB 2.0 to achive faster file transfer than the standard 100mbps
      > LAN connection?
      >
      > or can anyone recommend a mod for the linkstation that gives faster
      > networking than the 100mbps LAN connection?
      >
      > Thanks ALL
      > Dan
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>, mmsupport staff
      > <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Why not just create a STP cable and connect your PC
      > > directly to your pc?
      > >
      > > I think all you need is two pair of wires 1,2,4,8 and
      > > all you need to do is just flip the pair at the other
      > > end.
      > >
      > > Very simple..USB wouldn't be needed.

    • Anthony Migliore
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7 9:59 PM
        Even if you did get the physical connection between a PC and the
        linkstation to work (over USB), there is still the problem that the
        linkstation and your PC (assume XP) use different file systems. The
        samba program (running on the Linkstation) takes care of the file system
        differences over the ethernet port [it makes the linkstation EXT3
        filesystem look like NTFS], but I don't think samba works over USB. So,
        you will still need additional software, either for the PC to read/write
        an EXT3 file system, or for the Linkstation to read/write NTFS (assume XP).

        //Mig