Re: [LinkStation_General] LinkStation USB direct to PC

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4 6:10 PM
      Although a device exists that will connect two USB
      ports here
      http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUN161
      there are no drivers except for Windows and MacOS.
      Cyberguys sells the adapter.

      USB is very different than a simple serial cable.
      There must be a host and a client. Two hosts and two
      clients generally cannot talk to each other.

      --- danbridgland <dan@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I'm a noob to the group, I've tried searching
      > the posts but I
      > couldn't find a answer to my question, so here goes.
      >
      > As the LinkStation has two USB 2.0 ports. Would it
      > be possible to
      > directly connect the LinkStation to my PC to improve
      > the transfer
      > speeds. I understand that it is a USB host and as
      > such the LinkStation
      > has a +5V output, but could the LinkStation pass
      > through a USB hub? or
      > could a USB cable be rewired so that the +5V
      > connections do not clash
      > with that of a PC's USB port?
      >
      > If this is at all possible has anyone done such a
      > mod?
      >
      > If this is not at all possible can anyone recommend
      > any way to improve
      > the transfer performance across the LAN connection.
      >
      > Many thanks
      > Dan

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • danbridgland
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6 3:22 PM
        Hi, Knowing now that such a product exists it seems that it is only a
        matter of drivers that prevent USB networking for the LinkStation.

        I did a very quick scan on google and found this,
        http://www.belcarra.com/usb_products_end.html perhaps someone who
        may know something about USB networking could confirm that this (or
        similar) is a suitable soluition together with the > iogear GUN161
        cable.

        Many thanks In advance
        Dan

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
        <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

        > Although a device exists that will connect two USB
        > ports here
        > http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUN161
        > there are no drivers except for Windows and MacOS.
        > Cyberguys sells the adapter.
        >
        > USB is very different than a simple serial cable.
        > There must be a host and a client. Two hosts and two
        > clients generally cannot talk to each other.
        >
        > --- danbridgland <dan@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi, I'm a noob to the group, I've tried searching
        > > the posts but I
        > > couldn't find a answer to my question, so here goes.
        > >
        > > As the LinkStation has two USB 2.0 ports. Would it
        > > be possible to
        > > directly connect the LinkStation to my PC to improve
        > > the transfer
        > > speeds. I understand that it is a USB host and as
        > > such the LinkStation
        > > has a +5V output, but could the LinkStation pass
        > > through a USB hub? or
        > > could a USB cable be rewired so that the +5V
        > > connections do not clash
        > > with that of a PC's USB port?
        > >
        > > If this is at all possible has anyone done such a
        > > mod?
        > >
        > > If this is not at all possible can anyone recommend
        > > any way to improve
        > > the transfer performance across the LAN connection.
        > >
        > > Many thanks
        > > Dan

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • mmsupport staff
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6 5:20 PM
          Why not just create a STP cable and connect your PC
          directly to your pc?

          I think all you need is two pair of wires 1,2,4,8 and
          all you need to do is just flip the pair at the other
          end.

          Very simple..USB wouldn't be needed.

          > Hi, Knowing now that such a product exists it seems
          that it is only a
          > matter of drivers that prevent USB networking for
          the LinkStation.

          > I did a very quick scan on google and found this,
          > http://www.belcarra.com/usb_products_end.html
          perhaps someone who
          > may know something about USB networking could
          confirm that this (or
          > similar) is a suitable soluition together with the >
          iogear GUN161
          > cable.
          >
          > Many thanks In advance
          > Dan
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
          SimpleStupid
          > <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Although a device exists that will connect two USB
          > > ports here

          http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUN161
          > > there are no drivers except for Windows and MacOS.

          > > Cyberguys sells the adapter.
          > >
          > > USB is very different than a simple serial cable.
          > > There must be a host and a client. Two hosts and
          two
          > > clients generally cannot talk to each other.
          > >
          > > --- danbridgland <dan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hi, I'm a noob to the group, I've tried
          searching
          > > > the posts but I
          > > > couldn't find a answer to my question, so here
          goes.

          > > > As the LinkStation has two USB 2.0 ports. Would
          it
          > > > be possible to
          > > > directly connect the LinkStation to my PC to
          improve
          > > > the transfer
          > > > speeds. I understand that it is a USB host and
          as
          > > > such the LinkStation
          > > > has a +5V output, but could the LinkStation pass
          > > > through a USB hub? or
          > > > could a USB cable be rewired so that the +5V
          > > > connections do not clash
          > > > with that of a PC's USB port?
          > > >
          > > > If this is at all possible has anyone done such
          > > > mod?
          > > >
          > > > If this is not at all possible can anyone
          recommend
          > > > any way to improve
          > > > the transfer performance across the LAN
          connection.

          > > > Many thanks
          > > > Dan

          protection around
          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • danbridgland
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7 2:21 PM
            Thanks mmsupport staff,

            A simple cross-over cable would not provide the speeds that could be
            achived by using USB 2.0

            My original question still stands.

            Does anyone know of a way to link/network the Linkstation and a PC
            via USB 2.0 to achive faster file transfer than the standard 100mbps
            LAN connection?

            or can anyone recommend a mod for the linkstation that gives faster
            networking than the 100mbps LAN connection?

            Thanks ALL
            Dan

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mmsupport staff
            <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:

            > Why not just create a STP cable and connect your PC
            > directly to your pc?
            >
            > I think all you need is two pair of wires 1,2,4,8 and
            > all you need to do is just flip the pair at the other
            > end.
            >
            > Very simple..USB wouldn't be needed.

          • Thomas Ilnseher
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7 4:15 PM
              Regarding your question:

              It's not the problem that the LS is outputting +5V,
              rather it's the problem that the LS is a master, and not a slave device.

              It's like trying to connect 2 PCs via usb2.0
              the solution for the PC is a usb crosslink cable that has a chip in the
              middle
              which acts as a slave to the 2 PCs.

              you need to find a crosslink cable w/ a chip that is supported by linux.
              then you need to compile the driver for this thingie for the LS's linux
              kernel
              (that isn't a trivial task) and load the module on the LS.

              see this link: http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/#t-host

              the speed of this setup is mostly limited by the bridge chip used.

              also note that even if the link itself could work on faster speeds,
              this doesn't mean that the LS could actually provide the data faster.

              remember the stuff has to go trou the network layer on the LS, and
              the LS has a quite limited processing speed.

              danbridgland wrote:

              > Thanks mmsupport staff,
              >
              > A simple cross-over cable would not provide the speeds that could be
              > achived by using USB 2.0
              >
              > My original question still stands.
              >
              > Does anyone know of a way to link/network the Linkstation and a PC
              > via USB 2.0 to achive faster file transfer than the standard 100mbps
              > LAN connection?
              >
              > or can anyone recommend a mod for the linkstation that gives faster
              > networking than the 100mbps LAN connection?
              >
              > Thanks ALL
              > Dan
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>, mmsupport staff
              > <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Why not just create a STP cable and connect your PC
              > > directly to your pc?
              > >
              > > I think all you need is two pair of wires 1,2,4,8 and
              > > all you need to do is just flip the pair at the other
              > > end.
              > >
              > > Very simple..USB wouldn't be needed.

            • Anthony Migliore
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7 9:59 PM
                Even if you did get the physical connection between a PC and the
                linkstation to work (over USB), there is still the problem that the
                linkstation and your PC (assume XP) use different file systems. The
                samba program (running on the Linkstation) takes care of the file system
                differences over the ethernet port [it makes the linkstation EXT3
                filesystem look like NTFS], but I don't think samba works over USB. So,
                you will still need additional software, either for the PC to read/write
                an EXT3 file system, or for the Linkstation to read/write NTFS (assume XP).

                //Mig