LinkStation USB direct to PC

  • danbridgland
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
      Hi, I'm a noob to the group, I've tried searching the posts but I
      couldn't find a answer to my question, so here goes.

      As the LinkStation has two USB 2.0 ports. Would it be possible to
      directly connect the LinkStation to my PC to improve the transfer
      speeds. I understand that it is a USB host and as such the LinkStation
      has a +5V output, but could the LinkStation pass through a USB hub? or
      could a USB cable be rewired so that the +5V connections do not clash
      with that of a PC's USB port?

      If this is at all possible has anyone done such a mod?

      If this is not at all possible can anyone recommend any way to improve
      the transfer performance across the LAN connection.

      Many thanks
      Dan
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2006
        Although a device exists that will connect two USB
        ports here
        http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUN161
        there are no drivers except for Windows and MacOS.
        Cyberguys sells the adapter.

        USB is very different than a simple serial cable.
        There must be a host and a client. Two hosts and two
        clients generally cannot talk to each other.

        --- danbridgland <dan@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm a noob to the group, I've tried searching
        > the posts but I
        > couldn't find a answer to my question, so here goes.
        >
        > As the LinkStation has two USB 2.0 ports. Would it
        > be possible to
        > directly connect the LinkStation to my PC to improve
        > the transfer
        > speeds. I understand that it is a USB host and as
        > such the LinkStation
        > has a +5V output, but could the LinkStation pass
        > through a USB hub? or
        > could a USB cable be rewired so that the +5V
        > connections do not clash
        > with that of a PC's USB port?
        >
        > If this is at all possible has anyone done such a
        > mod?
        >
        > If this is not at all possible can anyone recommend
        > any way to improve
        > the transfer performance across the LAN connection.
        >
        > Many thanks
        > Dan

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • danbridgland
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
          Hi, Knowing now that such a product exists it seems that it is only a
          matter of drivers that prevent USB networking for the LinkStation.

          I did a very quick scan on google and found this,
          http://www.belcarra.com/usb_products_end.html perhaps someone who
          may know something about USB networking could confirm that this (or
          similar) is a suitable soluition together with the > iogear GUN161
          cable.

          Many thanks In advance
          Dan

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
          <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

          > Although a device exists that will connect two USB
          > ports here
          > http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUN161
          > there are no drivers except for Windows and MacOS.
          > Cyberguys sells the adapter.
          >
          > USB is very different than a simple serial cable.
          > There must be a host and a client. Two hosts and two
          > clients generally cannot talk to each other.
          >
          > --- danbridgland <dan@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi, I'm a noob to the group, I've tried searching
          > > the posts but I
          > > couldn't find a answer to my question, so here goes.
          > >
          > > As the LinkStation has two USB 2.0 ports. Would it
          > > be possible to
          > > directly connect the LinkStation to my PC to improve
          > > the transfer
          > > speeds. I understand that it is a USB host and as
          > > such the LinkStation
          > > has a +5V output, but could the LinkStation pass
          > > through a USB hub? or
          > > could a USB cable be rewired so that the +5V
          > > connections do not clash
          > > with that of a PC's USB port?
          > >
          > > If this is at all possible has anyone done such a
          > > mod?
          > >
          > > If this is not at all possible can anyone recommend
          > > any way to improve
          > > the transfer performance across the LAN connection.
          > >
          > > Many thanks
          > > Dan

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • mmsupport staff
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2006
            Why not just create a STP cable and connect your PC
            directly to your pc?

            I think all you need is two pair of wires 1,2,4,8 and
            all you need to do is just flip the pair at the other
            end.

            Very simple..USB wouldn't be needed.

            > Hi, Knowing now that such a product exists it seems
            that it is only a
            > matter of drivers that prevent USB networking for
            the LinkStation.

            > I did a very quick scan on google and found this,
            > http://www.belcarra.com/usb_products_end.html
            perhaps someone who
            > may know something about USB networking could
            confirm that this (or
            > similar) is a suitable soluition together with the >
            iogear GUN161
            > cable.
            >
            > Many thanks In advance
            > Dan
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
            SimpleStupid
            > <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Although a device exists that will connect two USB
            > > ports here

            http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GUN161
            > > there are no drivers except for Windows and MacOS.

            > > Cyberguys sells the adapter.
            > >
            > > USB is very different than a simple serial cable.
            > > There must be a host and a client. Two hosts and
            two
            > > clients generally cannot talk to each other.
            > >
            > > --- danbridgland <dan@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi, I'm a noob to the group, I've tried
            searching
            > > > the posts but I
            > > > couldn't find a answer to my question, so here
            goes.

            > > > As the LinkStation has two USB 2.0 ports. Would
            it
            > > > be possible to
            > > > directly connect the LinkStation to my PC to
            improve
            > > > the transfer
            > > > speeds. I understand that it is a USB host and
            as
            > > > such the LinkStation
            > > > has a +5V output, but could the LinkStation pass
            > > > through a USB hub? or
            > > > could a USB cable be rewired so that the +5V
            > > > connections do not clash
            > > > with that of a PC's USB port?
            > > >
            > > > If this is at all possible has anyone done such
            > > > mod?
            > > >
            > > > If this is not at all possible can anyone
            recommend
            > > > any way to improve
            > > > the transfer performance across the LAN
            connection.

            > > > Many thanks
            > > > Dan

            protection around
            > > http://mail.yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • danbridgland
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2006
              Thanks mmsupport staff,

              A simple cross-over cable would not provide the speeds that could be
              achived by using USB 2.0

              My original question still stands.

              Does anyone know of a way to link/network the Linkstation and a PC
              via USB 2.0 to achive faster file transfer than the standard 100mbps
              LAN connection?

              or can anyone recommend a mod for the linkstation that gives faster
              networking than the 100mbps LAN connection?

              Thanks ALL
              Dan

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mmsupport staff
              <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:

              > Why not just create a STP cable and connect your PC
              > directly to your pc?
              >
              > I think all you need is two pair of wires 1,2,4,8 and
              > all you need to do is just flip the pair at the other
              > end.
              >
              > Very simple..USB wouldn't be needed.

            • Thomas Ilnseher
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2006
                Regarding your question:

                It's not the problem that the LS is outputting +5V,
                rather it's the problem that the LS is a master, and not a slave device.

                It's like trying to connect 2 PCs via usb2.0
                the solution for the PC is a usb crosslink cable that has a chip in the
                middle
                which acts as a slave to the 2 PCs.

                you need to find a crosslink cable w/ a chip that is supported by linux.
                then you need to compile the driver for this thingie for the LS's linux
                kernel
                (that isn't a trivial task) and load the module on the LS.

                see this link: http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/#t-host

                the speed of this setup is mostly limited by the bridge chip used.

                also note that even if the link itself could work on faster speeds,
                this doesn't mean that the LS could actually provide the data faster.

                remember the stuff has to go trou the network layer on the LS, and
                the LS has a quite limited processing speed.

                danbridgland wrote:

                > Thanks mmsupport staff,
                >
                > A simple cross-over cable would not provide the speeds that could be
                > achived by using USB 2.0
                >
                > My original question still stands.
                >
                > Does anyone know of a way to link/network the Linkstation and a PC
                > via USB 2.0 to achive faster file transfer than the standard 100mbps
                > LAN connection?
                >
                > or can anyone recommend a mod for the linkstation that gives faster
                > networking than the 100mbps LAN connection?
                >
                > Thanks ALL
                > Dan
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>, mmsupport staff
                > <mixed_mind_assistance@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Why not just create a STP cable and connect your PC
                > > directly to your pc?
                > >
                > > I think all you need is two pair of wires 1,2,4,8 and
                > > all you need to do is just flip the pair at the other
                > > end.
                > >
                > > Very simple..USB wouldn't be needed.

              • Anthony Migliore
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2006
                  Even if you did get the physical connection between a PC and the
                  linkstation to work (over USB), there is still the problem that the
                  linkstation and your PC (assume XP) use different file systems. The
                  samba program (running on the Linkstation) takes care of the file system
                  differences over the ethernet port [it makes the linkstation EXT3
                  filesystem look like NTFS], but I don't think samba works over USB. So,
                  you will still need additional software, either for the PC to read/write
                  an EXT3 file system, or for the Linkstation to read/write NTFS (assume XP).

                  //Mig