Re: [LinkStation_General] HG250 Upgrade to Segate 750GB

  • Anthony Migliore
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 8:44 AM
      The IDE cable modification is just a hardware issue (not linux). I have
      modified my Kurobox (linkstation's [non-identical] twin) and attached
      a two drive, IDE cable. I desoldered
      (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/164) the existing single
      connector IDE cable, then soldered a new IDE socket onto the
      motherboard. Once the IDE socket is installed, you can connect any two
      connector IDE cable you want. I used a 18" Vantec ATA 133/100 Rounded
      IDE Cable, an cut a gap in the case to pass the second connector out. I
      use a separate power supply for the second drive that came with a USB to
      IDE adapter cable (like this one
      http://www.sabrent.com/products/index.htm) I also use a drive enclosure
      from NEXUS http://www.nexustek.nl/driveaway.htm to keep the second drive
      silent.

      The IDE chipset on the motherboard is already able to recognize the
      additional drive, no software modifications are necessary. You will
      have to format the new disk, setup the filesystem, and add a mount
      command in the /etc/fstab file. These task are software Linux commands.

      -- Mig

      Al wrote:

      > I tried pulling off the IDE cable but could not get it move at all and
      > thought it may be fused on the MB. Any detailed instructions for slaving in
      > the second drive would be appreciated? I'm not familiar with linux.
      >
      > V/r,
      >
      > Allen Stewart
    • Chris Weiss
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15 10:26 AM
        Hack-factor aside, why not go external USB? Sure, it's not spankin
        fast, but the P/S will last a lot longer and you can fit all the
        storage you want (I've got 2x500gb + 1x250gb externals all plugged in
        now). Most of my net is still 100mb, so the bottleneck's there rather
        than the USB port.

        --
        -Chris