Re: HG250 Upgrade to Segate 750GB

  • Uday Paul
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Al <astewart999@...>
      wrote:

      > Wow, thanks for the help folks, I have successfully converted my
      HG250 to a
      > HG750... I am worried about heat because when I copied over
      gigabit, 384GB
      > of videos to it in 13 hours, it got kind of hot to the touch.
      > Anyone Jealous? Now for the big time, is it possitlbe to slave
      another 750GB
      > drive via the IDE cable. It will look sloppy with the second drive
      hanging
      > out, but who cares... I suspect this may overload the power
      supply? Thanks
      > for the advise!
      >
      > Allen
      > --
      to-Segate-750GB-tf1999188.html#a5615389
      > Sent from the Buffalo LinkStation forum at Nabble.com.

      Someone has done this with the Kurobox already, and was trying to
      unload it earlier this year

      http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776&highlight=drives
    • Anthony Migliore
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
        The IDE cable modification is just a hardware issue (not linux). I have
        modified my Kurobox (linkstation's [non-identical] twin) and attached
        a two drive, IDE cable. I desoldered
        (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/164) the existing single
        connector IDE cable, then soldered a new IDE socket onto the
        motherboard. Once the IDE socket is installed, you can connect any two
        connector IDE cable you want. I used a 18" Vantec ATA 133/100 Rounded
        IDE Cable, an cut a gap in the case to pass the second connector out. I
        use a separate power supply for the second drive that came with a USB to
        IDE adapter cable (like this one
        http://www.sabrent.com/products/index.htm) I also use a drive enclosure
        from NEXUS http://www.nexustek.nl/driveaway.htm to keep the second drive
        silent.

        The IDE chipset on the motherboard is already able to recognize the
        additional drive, no software modifications are necessary. You will
        have to format the new disk, setup the filesystem, and add a mount
        command in the /etc/fstab file. These task are software Linux commands.

        -- Mig

        Al wrote:

        > I tried pulling off the IDE cable but could not get it move at all and
        > thought it may be fused on the MB. Any detailed instructions for slaving in
        > the second drive would be appreciated? I'm not familiar with linux.
        >
        > V/r,
        >
        > Allen Stewart
      • Chris Weiss
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
          Hack-factor aside, why not go external USB? Sure, it's not spankin
          fast, but the P/S will last a lot longer and you can fit all the
          storage you want (I've got 2x500gb + 1x250gb externals all plugged in
          now). Most of my net is still 100mb, so the bottleneck's there rather
          than the USB port.