Re: [LinkStation_General] HG250 Upgrade to Segate 750GB

  • Al
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
      I tried pulling off the IDE cable but could not get it move at all and
      thought it may be fused on the MB. Any detailed instructions for slaving in
      the second drive would be appreciated? I'm not familiar with linux.

      V/r,

      Allen Stewart
      Sent from the Buffalo LinkStation forum at Nabble.com.
    • Uday Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Al <astewart999@...>
        wrote:

        > Wow, thanks for the help folks, I have successfully converted my
        HG250 to a
        > HG750... I am worried about heat because when I copied over
        gigabit, 384GB
        > of videos to it in 13 hours, it got kind of hot to the touch.
        > Anyone Jealous? Now for the big time, is it possitlbe to slave
        another 750GB
        > drive via the IDE cable. It will look sloppy with the second drive
        hanging
        > out, but who cares... I suspect this may overload the power
        supply? Thanks
        > for the advise!
        >
        > Allen
        > --
        to-Segate-750GB-tf1999188.html#a5615389
        > Sent from the Buffalo LinkStation forum at Nabble.com.

        Someone has done this with the Kurobox already, and was trying to
        unload it earlier this year

        http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776&highlight=drives
      • Anthony Migliore
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
          The IDE cable modification is just a hardware issue (not linux). I have
          modified my Kurobox (linkstation's [non-identical] twin) and attached
          a two drive, IDE cable. I desoldered
          (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/164) the existing single
          connector IDE cable, then soldered a new IDE socket onto the
          motherboard. Once the IDE socket is installed, you can connect any two
          connector IDE cable you want. I used a 18" Vantec ATA 133/100 Rounded
          IDE Cable, an cut a gap in the case to pass the second connector out. I
          use a separate power supply for the second drive that came with a USB to
          IDE adapter cable (like this one
          http://www.sabrent.com/products/index.htm) I also use a drive enclosure
          from NEXUS http://www.nexustek.nl/driveaway.htm to keep the second drive
          silent.

          The IDE chipset on the motherboard is already able to recognize the
          additional drive, no software modifications are necessary. You will
          have to format the new disk, setup the filesystem, and add a mount
          command in the /etc/fstab file. These task are software Linux commands.

          -- Mig

          Al wrote:

          > I tried pulling off the IDE cable but could not get it move at all and
          > thought it may be fused on the MB. Any detailed instructions for slaving in
          > the second drive would be appreciated? I'm not familiar with linux.
          >
          > V/r,
          >
          > Allen Stewart
        • Chris Weiss
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
            Hack-factor aside, why not go external USB? Sure, it's not spankin
            fast, but the P/S will last a lot longer and you can fit all the
            storage you want (I've got 2x500gb + 1x250gb externals all plugged in
            now). Most of my net is still 100mb, so the bottleneck's there rather
            than the USB port.