Re: [LinkStation_General] HG250 Upgrade to Segate 750GB

  • Al
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2006
      Wow, thanks for the help folks, I have successfully converted my HG250 to a
      HG750... I am worried about heat because when I copied over gigabit, 384GB
      of videos to it in 13 hours, it got kind of hot to the touch.
      Anyone Jealous? Now for the big time, is it possitlbe to slave another 750GB
      drive via the IDE cable. It will look sloppy with the second drive hanging
      out, but who cares... I suspect this may overload the power supply? Thanks
      for the advise!

      Allen
      Sent from the Buffalo LinkStation forum at Nabble.com.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Al <astewart999@...>
        wrote:

        > Now for the big time, is it possitlbe to slave another 750GB
        > drive via the IDE cable.

        Yes, people have done this kind of thing. Just change out the cable
        or some how add an extension to the existing one like plugging a
        3-connector cable into the end of the existing one with a male-male
        set of header pins.

        I guess since you are overheating your LS as it is, it might be time
        to transfer the whole thing into a bigger case with better cooling
        anyway. You might consider switching to a bigger power supply too,
        such as a real PC one. An old AT-type will do since all you need is
        +5V and +12.
      • Al
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
          I tried pulling off the IDE cable but could not get it move at all and
          thought it may be fused on the MB. Any detailed instructions for slaving in
          the second drive would be appreciated? I'm not familiar with linux.

          V/r,

          Allen Stewart
          Sent from the Buffalo LinkStation forum at Nabble.com.
        • Uday Paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
            wrote:

            > Wow, thanks for the help folks, I have successfully converted my
            HG250 to a
            > HG750... I am worried about heat because when I copied over
            gigabit, 384GB
            > of videos to it in 13 hours, it got kind of hot to the touch.
            > Anyone Jealous? Now for the big time, is it possitlbe to slave
            another 750GB
            > drive via the IDE cable. It will look sloppy with the second drive
            hanging
            > out, but who cares... I suspect this may overload the power
            supply? Thanks
            > for the advise!
            >
            > Allen
            > --
            to-Segate-750GB-tf1999188.html#a5615389
            > Sent from the Buffalo LinkStation forum at Nabble.com.

            Someone has done this with the Kurobox already, and was trying to
            unload it earlier this year

            http://www.kurobox.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=776&highlight=drives
          • Anthony Migliore
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2006
              The IDE cable modification is just a hardware issue (not linux). I have
              modified my Kurobox (linkstation's [non-identical] twin) and attached
              a two drive, IDE cable. I desoldered
              (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/164) the existing single
              connector IDE cable, then soldered a new IDE socket onto the
              motherboard. Once the IDE socket is installed, you can connect any two
              connector IDE cable you want. I used a 18" Vantec ATA 133/100 Rounded
              IDE Cable, an cut a gap in the case to pass the second connector out. I
              use a separate power supply for the second drive that came with a USB to
              IDE adapter cable (like this one
              http://www.sabrent.com/products/index.htm) I also use a drive enclosure
              from NEXUS http://www.nexustek.nl/driveaway.htm to keep the second drive
              silent.

              The IDE chipset on the motherboard is already able to recognize the
              additional drive, no software modifications are necessary. You will
              have to format the new disk, setup the filesystem, and add a mount
              command in the /etc/fstab file. These task are software Linux commands.

              -- Mig

              Al wrote:

              > I tried pulling off the IDE cable but could not get it move at all and
              > thought it may be fused on the MB. Any detailed instructions for slaving in
              > the second drive would be appreciated? I'm not familiar with linux.
              >
              > V/r,
              >
              > Allen Stewart
            • Chris Weiss
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15, 2006
                Hack-factor aside, why not go external USB? Sure, it's not spankin
                fast, but the P/S will last a lot longer and you can fit all the
                storage you want (I've got 2x500gb + 1x250gb externals all plugged in
                now). Most of my net is still 100mb, so the bottleneck's there rather
                than the USB port.