Re: LinkStation, SlimServer, Help with Install - Please

  • jeffygroupsprofile
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
      I must still be doing something wrong, I'm trying this as well and
      it still can't find the file.

      root@LINKSTATION:~# cp /mnt/hda/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
      cp: cannot stat `/mnt/hda/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz': No
      such file or directory

      I put this file into the "share" folder that I can visually see when
      I go into this area of the linkstation through windows.

      Perhaps someone can tell what I am doing wrong here?

      <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

      > you have a LS2 (mips).
      >
      > on all ppc-based Linkstations:
      > the shares are at /mnt/
      > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt2/usbdisk1
      >
      > on the LS2 (mips)
      > the shares are at /mnt/hda/
      > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk1
      >
      > hope that helps.
      >
      > mindbender
      > www.linkstationwiki.net
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jeffygroupsprofile"
      > <YahooGroups@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bill Folk
      > > <bill_folk@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > --- jeffrey_sherer <YahooGroups@>

      > > > share is in /mnt.
      > > >
      > > > cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
      > > > cd /
      > > > tar -xzvf perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz
      > > >
      > > > Bill

      around
      > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
      > > >

      > > This is actually exactly what I typed in, but the file is not
      > > there. I assume that my problem is then in having put the file
      in
      > > the right place, but I see it in the share file on windows XP
      > > without any problem.
      > >
      > > Here is the exact process I am following:
      > >
      > > 1) in the run box I type the IP address of the linkstation
      > > 2) a window comes up with several folders corresponding to the
      > > folders I have set up on the linkstation in addition to a few
      others
      > > 3) in the "share" folder that is there I put the perl file as
      > > indicated above
      > > 4) I then go and SSH in and enter the command that the ReadMe
      file
      > > says and what you have suggested, but here is what I get back:
      > >
      > > root@LINKSTATION:~# cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
      > > cp: cannot stat `/mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz': No
      such
      > > file or directory
      > >
      > > I must be doing step #3 above wrong, perhaps someone can correct
      > > me? Thank you again so much for the help, I certainly
      appreciate
      > > this.

    • Fred Wong
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
        Try :
        cd /mnt/hda/share
        ls -l

        (that is dir Command of Window)
        Can you find the file?
        perl-5.8. 5-linkstation. tar.gz

        Tips: if you are uing Putty, you can use the mouse, moving and highlighted the text you want; and copy it by right click.  That eliminate the typo.

        Cheers
        Yorkie

        --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, "cherrytreeproducti on"
        <cherrytreeproducti on@...> wrote:

        > you have a LS2 (mips).
        >
        > on all ppc-based Linkstations:
        > the shares are at /mnt/
        > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt2/usbdisk1
        >
        > on the LS2 (mips)
        > the shares are at /mnt/hda/
        > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk1
        >
        > hope that helps.
        >
        > mindbender
        > www.linkstationwiki .net
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, "jeffygroupsprofile "
        > <YahooGroups@ > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, Bill Folk
        > > <bill_folk@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > --- jeffrey_sherer <YahooGroups@ >

        > > > share is in /mnt.
        > > >
        > > > cp /mnt/share/perl- 5.8.5-linkstatio n.tar.gz /
        > > > cd /
        > > > tar -xzvf perl-5.8.5-linkstat ion.tar.gz
        > > >
        > > > Bill
        > > >
        > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __
        > > > Do You Yahoo!?
        around
        > > > http://mail. yahoo.com
        > > >

        > > This is actually exactly what I typed in, but the file is not
        > > there. I assume that my problem is then in having put the file
        in
        > > the right place, but I see it in the share file on windows XP
        > > without any problem.
        > >
        > > Here is the exact process I am following:
        > >
        > > 1) in the run box I type the IP address of the linkstation
        > > 2) a window comes up with several folders corresponding to the
        > > folders I have set up on the linkstation in addition to a few
        others
        > > 3) in the "share" folder that is there I put the perl file as
        > > indicated above
        > > 4) I then go and SSH in and enter the command that the ReadMe
        file
        > > says and what you have suggested, but here is what I get back:
        > >
        > > root@LINKSTATION: ~# cp /mnt/share/perl- 5.8.5-linkstatio n.tar.gz /
        > > cp: cannot stat `/mnt/share/ perl-5.8. 5-linkstation. tar.gz': No
        such
        > > file or directory
        > >
        > > I must be doing step #3 above wrong, perhaps someone can correct
        > > me? Thank you again so much for the help, I certainly
        appreciate
        > > this.

      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2006
          i am sure it is easier for you if you know some basic useful commands
          for linux. so you can debug yourself.

          cd <directory> ....... you change to that directory
          cd .. ........... move one directory up
          ls .......... list all files/directories of the current directory
          (like dir)
          ls <directory> .... list all files from that directory
          cp <source> <target> .... copy sourcefile to target

          please post the output of
          ls /mnt/hda/
          ls /mnt/hda/share

          try to find where the perl-file is...is it maybe a different version?

          best regards
          mindbender