Date reset to jan 1st 2002 when Linkstation 2 is restarted

  • plowmanbill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2006
      Whenever I reboot my LinkStation 2 the date is reset to 00:00:00
      1/1/2002. Why is this happening?
    • Guennadi Liakhovetski
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, plowmanbill wrote:

        > Whenever I reboot my LinkStation 2 the date is reset to 00:00:00
        > 1/1/2002. Why is this happening?

        Normally this means RTC not working / not used. LS-II is a MIPS, right?
        What software are you running on it? Stock from Buffalo or some other?

        Thanks
        Guennadi
        ---
        Guennadi Liakhovetski
      • musifix
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski
          <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, plowmanbill wrote:
          >
          > > Whenever I reboot my LinkStation 2 the date is reset to 00:00:00
          > > 1/1/2002. Why is this happening?
          >
          > Normally this means RTC not working / not used. LS-II is a MIPS,
          right?
          > What software are you running on it? Stock from Buffalo or some other?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Guennadi
          > ---
          > Guennadi Liakhovetski

          Try looking on the forum at www.linkstationwiki.net, there are threads
          on this topic there. I experienced the same problem, but got it solved
          by reentering NTP server IP-address (17.72.133.45) through the http
          interface. If you DO have NTP enabled, it could be caused by running
          with a static IP-address for the Linkstation, without a proper gateway
          address.

          Hope this helps,

          Morten
        • Guennadi Liakhovetski
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
            On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, musifix wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski
            > <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, plowmanbill wrote:
            > >
            > > > Whenever I reboot my LinkStation 2 the date is reset to 00:00:00
            > > > 1/1/2002. Why is this happening?
            > >
            > Try looking on the forum at www.linkstationwiki.net, there are threads
            > on this topic there. I experienced the same problem, but got it solved
            > by reentering NTP server IP-address (17.72.133.45) through the http
            > interface. If you DO have NTP enabled, it could be caused by running
            > with a static IP-address for the Linkstation, without a proper gateway
            > address.

            Is LS-II also using rs5c372 rtc connected to i2c? I don't know MIPS, but
            if the specific CPU has i2c bus and it is supported by the kernel, then
            switching to kernel stock rtc-rs5c372 driver might help. Of course, I mean
            2.6.17-ish...

            Thanks
            Guennadi
            ---
            Guennadi Liakhovetski
          • Norman Clasper
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
              I wonder if there could have been a problem with the time server.
              I had exactly the same problem, on exactly the same day, despite the
              fact that my linkstation (totally standard) has been up and running
              properly for the past four months. (The only reason I noticed it was
              that the ls failed to enter sleep mode on 1 August. When I checked, I
              found the date to be 1 Jun 02, and the clock was several hours slow.
              If it had not been for the sleep mode failure, I would never have
              noticed.

              The time server I use is 195.7.224.135.

              Norman Clasper