Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: LinkStation, SlimServer, Help with Install - Please

  • Bill Folk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
      --- jeffrey_sherer <YahooGroups@...>

      > "jeffrey_sherer"
      > <YahooGroups@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have been searching through the messages, but
      > have not been able
      > > to find anything that addresses this question. I
      > am hoping
      > someone
      > > can take the time to explain the following process
      > a bit better as
      > > am now stuck.
      > >
      > > I have gone through the following process.
      > >
      > > 1) Following the steps outlined at
      > > http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation3.html
      > >
      > > 2) I have downloaded all of the files and am able
      > to SSH into the
      > > linkstation after a correct flash of the system as
      > instructed in
      > > part 1 in the fieldnetworks guide
      > >
      > > 3) I am now stuck on the following part:
      > > Now that you created more space on the first
      > partition (/dev/hda1)
      > > for the new Perl installation by moving the old
      > one to /mnt, copy
      > > the downloaded file from your network share to the
      > root directory
      > of
      > > the LinkStation: "cp
      > /mnt/name-of-network-share/perl-5.8.5-
      > > linkstation.tar.gz /". Now, change to the root
      > directory and
      > extract
      > > the file: First, "cd /". Then, "tar xzvf
      > perl-5.8.5-
      > > linkstation.tar.gz".
      > >
      > > I am unable to do the copy command because I am
      > not sure what
      > > the "name-of-network-share" should be. I have put
      > the perl-5.8.5
      > > file into a folder called "share" on my
      > linkstation using
      > copy/paste
      > > commands in windows, but am not sure how to find
      > this "share"
      > folder
      > > within the SSH client so I can bring it into the
      > system.
      > >
      > > I am completely new at this and am learning as I
      > go. Any help
      > that
      > > you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thank you so much.
      > >
      > > -Jeff
      > >

      > Just some more information to help, this is for a
      > LinkStation II
      > box, I'm running Windows XP, using Putty to SSH in.

      share is in /mnt.

      cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
      cd /
      tar -xzvf perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz

      Bill

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • jeffygroupsprofile
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bill Folk
        <bill_folk@...> wrote:

        > --- jeffrey_sherer <YahooGroups@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
        > > "jeffrey_sherer"
        > > <YahooGroups@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have been searching through the messages, but
        > > have not been able
        > > > to find anything that addresses this question. I
        > > am hoping
        > > someone
        > > > can take the time to explain the following process
        > > a bit better as
        > > > am now stuck.
        > > >
        > > > I have gone through the following process.
        > > >
        > > > 1) Following the steps outlined at
        > > > http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation3.html
        > > >
        > > > 2) I have downloaded all of the files and am able
        > > to SSH into the
        > > > linkstation after a correct flash of the system as
        > > instructed in
        > > > part 1 in the fieldnetworks guide
        > > >
        > > > 3) I am now stuck on the following part:
        > > > Now that you created more space on the first
        > > partition (/dev/hda1)
        > > > for the new Perl installation by moving the old
        > > one to /mnt, copy
        > > > the downloaded file from your network share to the
        > > root directory
        > > of
        > > > the LinkStation: "cp
        > > /mnt/name-of-network-share/perl-5.8.5-
        > > > linkstation.tar.gz /". Now, change to the root
        > > directory and
        > > extract
        > > > the file: First, "cd /". Then, "tar xzvf
        > > perl-5.8.5-
        > > > linkstation.tar.gz".
        > > >
        > > > I am unable to do the copy command because I am
        > > not sure what
        > > > the "name-of-network-share" should be. I have put
        > > the perl-5.8.5
        > > > file into a folder called "share" on my
        > > linkstation using
        > > copy/paste
        > > > commands in windows, but am not sure how to find
        > > this "share"
        > > folder
        > > > within the SSH client so I can bring it into the
        > > system.
        > > >
        > > > I am completely new at this and am learning as I
        > > go. Any help
        > > that
        > > > you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
        > > >
        > > > Thank you so much.
        > > >
        > > > -Jeff
        > > >

        > > Just some more information to help, this is for a
        > > LinkStation II
        > > box, I'm running Windows XP, using Putty to SSH in.
        > >

        > share is in /mnt.
        >
        > cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
        > cd /
        > tar -xzvf perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz
        >
        > Bill

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        This is actually exactly what I typed in, but the file is not
        there. I assume that my problem is then in having put the file in
        the right place, but I see it in the share file on windows XP
        without any problem.

        Here is the exact process I am following:

        1) in the run box I type the IP address of the linkstation
        2) a window comes up with several folders corresponding to the
        folders I have set up on the linkstation in addition to a few others
        3) in the "share" folder that is there I put the perl file as
        indicated above
        4) I then go and SSH in and enter the command that the ReadMe file
        says and what you have suggested, but here is what I get back:

        root@LINKSTATION:~# cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
        cp: cannot stat `/mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz': No such
        file or directory

        I must be doing step #3 above wrong, perhaps someone can correct
        me? Thank you again so much for the help, I certainly appreciate
        this.
      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
          you have a LS2 (mips).

          on all ppc-based Linkstations:
          the shares are at /mnt/
          the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt2/usbdisk1

          on the LS2 (mips)
          the shares are at /mnt/hda/
          the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk1

          hope that helps.

          mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.net

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jeffygroupsprofile"
          <YahooGroups@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bill Folk
          > <bill_folk@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- jeffrey_sherer <YahooGroups@>
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,

          > > > have not been able
          > > > am hoping
          > > > someone
          > > > a bit better as

          > > > to SSH into the
          > > > instructed in

          > > > partition (/dev/hda1)
          > > > one to /mnt, copy
          > > > root directory
          > > > of
          > > > /mnt/name-of-network-share/perl-5.8.5-
          > > > directory and
          > > > extract
          > > > perl-5.8.5-

          > > > not sure what
          > > > the perl-5.8.5
          > > > linkstation using
          > > > copy/paste
          > > > this "share"
          > > > folder
          > > > system.

          > > > go. Any help
          > > > that

          > > > Just some more information to help, this is for a
          > > > LinkStation II
          > > > box, I'm running Windows XP, using Putty to SSH in.
          > > >

          > > share is in /mnt.
          > >
          > > cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
          > > cd /
          > > tar -xzvf perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz
          > >
          > > Bill

          > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          > >

          > This is actually exactly what I typed in, but the file is not
          > there. I assume that my problem is then in having put the file in
          > the right place, but I see it in the share file on windows XP
          > without any problem.
          >
          > Here is the exact process I am following:
          >
          > 1) in the run box I type the IP address of the linkstation
          > 2) a window comes up with several folders corresponding to the
          > folders I have set up on the linkstation in addition to a few others
          > 3) in the "share" folder that is there I put the perl file as
          > indicated above
          > 4) I then go and SSH in and enter the command that the ReadMe file
          > says and what you have suggested, but here is what I get back:
          >
          > root@LINKSTATION:~# cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
          > cp: cannot stat `/mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz': No such
          > file or directory
          >
          > I must be doing step #3 above wrong, perhaps someone can correct
          > me? Thank you again so much for the help, I certainly appreciate
          > this.

        • jeffygroupsprofile
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
            I must still be doing something wrong, I'm trying this as well and
            it still can't find the file.

            root@LINKSTATION:~# cp /mnt/hda/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
            cp: cannot stat `/mnt/hda/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz': No
            such file or directory

            I put this file into the "share" folder that I can visually see when
            I go into this area of the linkstation through windows.

            Perhaps someone can tell what I am doing wrong here?

            <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

            > you have a LS2 (mips).
            >
            > on all ppc-based Linkstations:
            > the shares are at /mnt/
            > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt2/usbdisk1
            >
            > on the LS2 (mips)
            > the shares are at /mnt/hda/
            > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk1
            >
            > hope that helps.
            >
            > mindbender
            > www.linkstationwiki.net
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jeffygroupsprofile"
            > <YahooGroups@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bill Folk
            > > <bill_folk@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > --- jeffrey_sherer <YahooGroups@>

            > > > share is in /mnt.
            > > >
            > > > cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
            > > > cd /
            > > > tar -xzvf perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz
            > > >
            > > > Bill

            around
            > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            > > >

            > > This is actually exactly what I typed in, but the file is not
            > > there. I assume that my problem is then in having put the file
            in
            > > the right place, but I see it in the share file on windows XP
            > > without any problem.
            > >
            > > Here is the exact process I am following:
            > >
            > > 1) in the run box I type the IP address of the linkstation
            > > 2) a window comes up with several folders corresponding to the
            > > folders I have set up on the linkstation in addition to a few
            others
            > > 3) in the "share" folder that is there I put the perl file as
            > > indicated above
            > > 4) I then go and SSH in and enter the command that the ReadMe
            file
            > > says and what you have suggested, but here is what I get back:
            > >
            > > root@LINKSTATION:~# cp /mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz /
            > > cp: cannot stat `/mnt/share/perl-5.8.5-linkstation.tar.gz': No
            such
            > > file or directory
            > >
            > > I must be doing step #3 above wrong, perhaps someone can correct
            > > me? Thank you again so much for the help, I certainly
            appreciate
            > > this.

          • Fred Wong
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2006
              Try :
              cd /mnt/hda/share
              ls -l

              (that is dir Command of Window)
              Can you find the file?
              perl-5.8. 5-linkstation. tar.gz

              Tips: if you are uing Putty, you can use the mouse, moving and highlighted the text you want; and copy it by right click.  That eliminate the typo.

              Cheers
              Yorkie

              --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, "cherrytreeproducti on"
              <cherrytreeproducti on@...> wrote:

              > you have a LS2 (mips).
              >
              > on all ppc-based Linkstations:
              > the shares are at /mnt/
              > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt2/usbdisk1
              >
              > on the LS2 (mips)
              > the shares are at /mnt/hda/
              > the usbdisk is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk1
              >
              > hope that helps.
              >
              > mindbender
              > www.linkstationwiki .net
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, "jeffygroupsprofile "
              > <YahooGroups@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, Bill Folk
              > > <bill_folk@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > --- jeffrey_sherer <YahooGroups@ >

              > > > share is in /mnt.
              > > >
              > > > cp /mnt/share/perl- 5.8.5-linkstatio n.tar.gz /
              > > > cd /
              > > > tar -xzvf perl-5.8.5-linkstat ion.tar.gz
              > > >
              > > > Bill
              > > >
              > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __
              > > > Do You Yahoo!?
              around
              > > > http://mail. yahoo.com
              > > >

              > > This is actually exactly what I typed in, but the file is not
              > > there. I assume that my problem is then in having put the file
              in
              > > the right place, but I see it in the share file on windows XP
              > > without any problem.
              > >
              > > Here is the exact process I am following:
              > >
              > > 1) in the run box I type the IP address of the linkstation
              > > 2) a window comes up with several folders corresponding to the
              > > folders I have set up on the linkstation in addition to a few
              others
              > > 3) in the "share" folder that is there I put the perl file as
              > > indicated above
              > > 4) I then go and SSH in and enter the command that the ReadMe
              file
              > > says and what you have suggested, but here is what I get back:
              > >
              > > root@LINKSTATION: ~# cp /mnt/share/perl- 5.8.5-linkstatio n.tar.gz /
              > > cp: cannot stat `/mnt/share/ perl-5.8. 5-linkstation. tar.gz': No
              such
              > > file or directory
              > >
              > > I must be doing step #3 above wrong, perhaps someone can correct
              > > me? Thank you again so much for the help, I certainly
              appreciate
              > > this.

            • cherrytreeproduction
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1 1:05 AM
                i am sure it is easier for you if you know some basic useful commands
                for linux. so you can debug yourself.

                cd <directory> ....... you change to that directory
                cd .. ........... move one directory up
                ls .......... list all files/directories of the current directory
                (like dir)
                ls <directory> .... list all files from that directory
                cp <source> <target> .... copy sourcefile to target

                please post the output of
                ls /mnt/hda/
                ls /mnt/hda/share

                try to find where the perl-file is...is it maybe a different version?

                best regards
                mindbender