Re: Upgrading Internal Drive in 250GB LinkStation

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Roland Thomas
      <rolandthomas@...> wrote:

      > Can I upgrade it to a higher capacity?

      Yes

      > If so, how?

      Here is an overview:

      Backup your data, or plan to put it in a USB case or another
      computer running either Linux or the "explorExt2" utility to access
      the drive.

      Physically swap out the drive.

      Then run the "updater" utility on the new drive, preferably
      the "openlink" version of it.

      Then copy your data back on the new drive.

      > The Seagate Barracuda 500GB looks nice but can I use
      > a 7200rpm drive or do I have to stay with a 5400rpm drive?

      At least on the non-HG models, even the 5400 RPM drive is faster
      than the bus in the Linkstation (29MB/S), so you'll probably not see
      a performance improvement. The thing to watch out for is power
      consumption which is proportional to heat. Some of these drives may
      get hotter than the Linkstation's ability to cool it off.