Re: Upgrading Internal Drive in 250GB LinkStation

  • Scott_Hefner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2006
      I just replaced my original 250 with a WD 320 GB 7200 RPM drive (my
      250 died) and it works fine. I presume a 500 would work, too.
      There's an excellent "how to" guide with photos on how to
      disassemble the LS on this site.

      Good luck!

      Scott

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Roland Thomas
      <rolandthomas@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but I have a
      250GB
      > LinkStation that is nearing capacity. Can I upgrade it to a higher
      > capacity? If so, how? The Seagate Barracuda 500GB looks nice but
      can I use
      > a 7200rpm drive or do I have to stay with a 5400rpm drive?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Roland Thomas
      >
      > --
      Internal-Drive-in-250GB-LinkStation-tf1992072.html#a5466774

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2006
        <rolandthomas@...> wrote:

        > Can I upgrade it to a higher capacity?

        Yes

        > If so, how?

        Here is an overview:

        Backup your data, or plan to put it in a USB case or another
        computer running either Linux or the "explorExt2" utility to access
        the drive.

        Physically swap out the drive.

        Then run the "updater" utility on the new drive, preferably
        the "openlink" version of it.

        Then copy your data back on the new drive.

        > The Seagate Barracuda 500GB looks nice but can I use
        > a 7200rpm drive or do I have to stay with a 5400rpm drive?

        At least on the non-HG models, even the 5400 RPM drive is faster
        than the bus in the Linkstation (29MB/S), so you'll probably not see
        a performance improvement. The thing to watch out for is power
        consumption which is proportional to heat. Some of these drives may
        get hotter than the Linkstation's ability to cool it off.