Useful logs to monitor activity

  • harley_t_dog
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 2006
      Hey,

      I recently upgraded my 250 gig LS to the OpenLink firmware.
      Everything went smoothly and I'm up and running. I have a small
      (typical) home network with a linksys router, a few computer and the
      LS. I have successfully SSH'd to my LS, and would like to set it up
      to be accessable externally. I have tested this by using port
      forwarding on the router and it appears to work well. I'm concerned
      about security, I don't know enough about it, other than that I should
      be concerned.

      Can anyone advise me on the security risks of leaving the port (22 I
      think) open to the internet? Also, can someone point me to the
      pertinent logs that display activity, such as logins/attempts and file
      transfers. I found these once before for the ftp server but cannot now.

      Thanks
      Harley
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "harley_t_dog" <harley888@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone advise me on the security risks of leaving the port (22 I
        > think) open to the internet? Also, can someone point me to the
        > pertinent logs that display activity, such as logins/attempts and file
        > transfers. I found these once before for the ftp server but cannot now.

        <http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/> and similar programs can improve SSH security
        significantly. These websites will also point you to guides how to improve (Open)SSH
        security.

        The log you're looking for is /var/log/auth.log.

        -Andre