Upgrading Internal Drive in 250GB LinkStation

  • Roland Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006

      Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but I have a 250GB
      LinkStation that is nearing capacity. Can I upgrade it to a higher
      capacity? If so, how? The Seagate Barracuda 500GB looks nice but can I use
      a 7200rpm drive or do I have to stay with a 5400rpm drive?

      Thanks,
      Roland Thomas

      Sent from the Buffalo LinkStation forum at Nabble.com.
    • Scott_Hefner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2006
        I just replaced my original 250 with a WD 320 GB 7200 RPM drive (my
        250 died) and it works fine. I presume a 500 would work, too.
        There's an excellent "how to" guide with photos on how to
        disassemble the LS on this site.

        Good luck!

        Scott

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Roland Thomas
        <rolandthomas@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Apologies if this has been asked/answered before, but I have a
        250GB
        > LinkStation that is nearing capacity. Can I upgrade it to a higher
        > capacity? If so, how? The Seagate Barracuda 500GB looks nice but
        can I use
        > a 7200rpm drive or do I have to stay with a 5400rpm drive?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Roland Thomas
        >
        > --
        Internal-Drive-in-250GB-LinkStation-tf1992072.html#a5466774

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2006
          <rolandthomas@...> wrote:

          > Can I upgrade it to a higher capacity?

          Yes

          > If so, how?

          Here is an overview:

          Backup your data, or plan to put it in a USB case or another
          computer running either Linux or the "explorExt2" utility to access
          the drive.

          Physically swap out the drive.

          Then run the "updater" utility on the new drive, preferably
          the "openlink" version of it.

          Then copy your data back on the new drive.

          > The Seagate Barracuda 500GB looks nice but can I use
          > a 7200rpm drive or do I have to stay with a 5400rpm drive?

          At least on the non-HG models, even the 5400 RPM drive is faster
          than the bus in the Linkstation (29MB/S), so you'll probably not see
          a performance improvement. The thing to watch out for is power
          consumption which is proportional to heat. Some of these drives may
          get hotter than the Linkstation's ability to cool it off.